States Stick to Their Guns

dZ

AUGUST 12, 03:49 EDT

States Stick to Their Guns

By STEVE GEISSINGER
Associated Press Writer

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — Another violent shooting has become
another bitter opportunity for gun-control advocates to call for stricter
regulations — though few states appear inclined to change.

Political leaders in several states with strong histories of gun ownership
say they are unlikely to toughen gun-control laws following the nation's
third major shooting in two weeks.

``Gun laws wouldn't have helped in Los Angeles,'' Vermont Gov. Howard
Dean, a Democrat, said Wednesday. ``Better enforcement would have
helped.''

A man walked into a Jewish community center in Los Angeles on
Tuesday and fired more than 70 bullets from a semiautomatic weapon,
wounding three children, a teen-ager and a woman. The suspect, white
supremacist Buford O'Neal Furrow Jr., surrendered a day later.

Furrow, 37, is also charged with murder and illegal possession of a firearm in the slaying of a postal worker near
the community center.

It wasn't immediately clear where Furrow obtained the weapon. California gun buyers must pass a background
check with a 10-day waiting period, and convicted felons are barred from possessing firearms.

President Clinton immediately urged the nation to ``intensify our resolve to make America a safer place,'' and
White House spokesman Barry Toiv repeated the call Wednesday.

``There have been a number of incidents involving guns this year that just point to the obvious need for sensible
gun legislation,'' Toiv said.

After the April school massacre in Littleton, Colo., Congress weighed new federal gun control measures that,
among other things, would have required safety devices on handguns and background checks on all gun show
sales. The legislation is the subject of a fierce partisan battle amid strong lobbying by pro-gun groups.

State legislators also hear from gun lobbyists.

Louisiana state Rep. Kyle Green said he hoped the recent shootings would change the minds of lawmakers who
continued to oppose tighter gun control after the Colorado shootings.

But Green, a Democrat, is not optimistic. Louisiana recently passed a bill exempting gun manufacturers from
lawsuits.

``I would not bet the bank on the Legislature reversing courses and taking actions to protect kids over the profits
of gun manufacturers,'' Green said.

While a few states, including California, have imposed tighter controls on gun ownership, most states have done
nothing.

Arizona state Sen. Randall Gnant said the only people he hears from on gun control are National Rifle Association
members and others who want no controls.

``I just don't think this Legislature, given the state's Wild West history, is going to be inclined to take this issue
on,'' said Gnant, a Republican.

California Gov. Gray Davis, a Democrat in a state with a Democratic-dominated Legislature, said after the
community center shooting that he would sign additional ``responsible'' gun-control measures.

Davis last month signed laws restricting gun purchases to one a month and tightening a ban on assault weapons
by closing a loophole that let manufacturers get around the law by renaming their weapons.

Aides said Wednesday that Davis will likely sign legislation that would restrict cheaply made handguns and
require trigger locks and warning labels on all guns sold in the state.

``We are well on our way to implementing the most comprehensive package of gun-control bills in the history of
our state,'' said Assembly Speaker Antonio Villaraigosa, D-Los Angeles.

But in Utah, state legislators have rejected Gov. Mike Leavitt's call for a special session to tighten the state's
liberal gun laws. Gun ownership is considered a birthright in Utah, where any adult with a clean record can get a
permit to carry a concealed weapon just about anywhere.

It took a special law signed by Leavitt in March to declare the 2002 Winter Olympics would be a gun-free event.
Even that drew tough opposition from legislators, who finally relented under pressure from the governor and
Olympic officials.

In Wisconsin, where Republicans control the Assembly and Democrats dominate the Senate, legislative leaders
also doubted the Los Angeles shootings would affect gun-control laws.

``Wisconsin is a state with a lot of gun lovers,'' said Senate President Fred Risser, who favors tougher regulation.
``Even the weakest measures to pass stricter gun control have failed.''

New York Assemblywoman Audrey Hochberg said gun-rights groups have blocked state gun bills.

``It's outrageous that we haven't been able to make more gains with these terrible incidents,'' Hochberg said. ``I
think we just have to keep working and hope that some common sense comes out of all of this.''

I was glad to see the Utah legislators stick up for no gun bans during the Olympics. However, I would like to know the condition of this "special" law signed by Leavitt. Under what conditions can he do this? Is it infant EO's? What are the stipulations, and duration and WHY did the legislator finally give in to it?

I'd say "screw the olympics if we have to negate our rights, even for a moment!"

------------------
John/az

"The middle of the road between the extremes of good and evil, is evil. When freedom is at stake, your silence is not golden, it's yellow..." RKBA!

http://www.countdown9199.com

[This message has been edited by John/az2 (edited August 12, 1999).]

John, here in Utah, MOST of us are saying "Screw the Olympics!"

For this we have MANY reasons.

The Olympics should have gone to DENVER - or Bosnia...

------------------
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

``It's outrageous that we haven't been able to make more gains with these terrible incidents,'' Hochberg said. ``

Talk about dancing in the blood of innocents. Almost makes me belive that these shootings were staged just to enact more gun banishment laws

Yes, the real outrage is perpetreated by anti-gun politicians, who pipe up immediately to exploit such incidents as a way of amassing political power.

I have to concur with Wild Child and add that this is not outrageous, it is the people forcing the politicians to adhere to our will. Now, if this process would only work in California...

Kodiac - don't shove that crap on us Coloradoans! We didn't want the Olympics in 76, and we sure don't want them now!

Enjoy the "demilitarized" biathalon (grumble-mumble).

Morgan,

I think Kodiac was referring to Mayor Wellie's notorious anti-gun stance, which is completely out of sync with the rest of the state.

See you at the range!

------------------
A vote for the lesser of two evils is still a vote for evil.
Vote Libertarian - For A Change.

Back