"State's rights?!?" What's *that*???! Two new court decisions today...

Long Path

Hey, gang--
The Supreme Court responded to not one but TWO cases from the stance of states' sovereignty... First an age discrimination case:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>JANUARY 11, 15:15 EST

Court Shields States in Age Lawsuits

By RICHARD CARELLI
Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) — Whittling away more of the federal government's power over states, the Supreme Court ruled Tuesday that state employees cannot go into federal court to sue over age bias.

The court, by a 5-4 vote, said Congress exceeded its authority when allowing such lawsuits against the states under 1974 amendments to the Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967. The ruling killed three separate federal cases from Florida and Alabama.

The federal law cannot trump states' 11th Amendment immunity against being sued in federal courts, Justice Sandra Day O'Connor wrote for the court.

Tuesday's ruling extended a series of recent decisions in which the court — by identical votes each time — ignited what legal scholars have called a states' rights revolution by eroding the federal government's sway over states.

Joining O'Connor again were Chief Justice William H. Rehnquist and Justices Antonin Scalia, Anthony M. Kennedy and Clarence Thomas. Once again left in dissent were the court's more liberal justices — John Paul Stevens, David H. Souter, Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Stephen G. Breyer.
[/quote]

The other one was a rape case, in which the accused was sued in civil court over federal civil rights violations. In that one, too, the S. Ct. appears very much in the posture that the federal government should be kept out of what is essentially a state case, and should be left to the state courts.

What a concept!

Whether or not you're sypathetic to the plaintiffs in each case, the reasoning by the court is a happy one by my sight. At one point, they actually made refrence to a Garza decision, in which federal gun control had been limited based on this concept. Would that they would carry the concept a whole lot further.

Where, oh where is my 10th amendment?

------------------
Will you, too, be one who stands in the gap?

Matt

Oh, Long Path,
Thank you so much for your post. Now I shall enjoy supper! :)

------------------
Either you believe in the Second Amendment or you don't.
Stick it to 'em! RKBA!

The current court has been ruling in favor of "states rights" quite a bit lately. Last year they ruled in two or three cases that I am aware of regarding the Americans with Disabilities Act. The lawsuits were against the state governments and were dismissed by the Supremes.

This is a wonderful direction the Court is taking. Let's all do our best to keep AlGore out of office so he won't be able to appoint any Supreme Court Justices that would reverse this trend.

Vote early, vote often and vote Republican!

[This message has been edited by Cactus (edited January 11, 2000).]

Cactus,
I heard that! :D

Seriously, can you imagine what kind of judges Dr. Alan Keyes would nominate if he had the opportunity? ;)

Not too sure about GW - yeah, yeah, I know "better than Gore".... :p :rolleyes:

------------------
Either you believe in the Second Amendment or you don't.
Stick it to 'em! RKBA!

The next one to watch is the Elian Gonzalez deportation (the lil Cuban boy). A FL State court busted the Feds and INS in the chops bigtime. Elian will get his day in court and His Billness now is holding his pecker in the wind.

Let's rock!

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes" RKBA!

Hey, you're completely right. Currently the weak link is O'Connor. But at least she is siding with the (Rehnquist, Scalia, Thomas, Kennedy) group that the constitution doesn't grant the feds unlimited powers.

But now for a complaint.

Don't, please don't use the term "states' rights." It is a catachresis. States don't have rights in the Constitution. States have "powers."

You can see where I'm coming from here. Only people have "rights."

The 2nd amendment admits a right of the people. The 10th amendment states that the "powers" not delgated to the .....etc."

Valdez--

WELL-PUT! I shall endeavor to refrain from such mis-directive terminology in the future.

O'Connor, by the way, wrote the opinion...

Soutter and a couple others are antis on it, though.

Valdez: Exactly on target regarding "state's rights"; They refer to enforcement of the Constitution's delegation of power as "state's rights" to tar constitutionalists with the early use of that term by segregationists.

Read the Ninth and Tenth amendments;

9: The enumeration in the Constitution of certain rights shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

10: The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.

Nothing could be clearer: Government has only "powers"; People have both powers and "rights". EVERYWHERE the Constitution refers to something as a "right", that right is possessed and exercised by people, not units of government. Without ANY exception!

------------------
Sic semper tyranus!

Back