State-To-State Sales of Private Handguns

Skorzeny

Folks:

I have a question on a confusing subject. I am planning to sell a privately owned handgun to another non-FFL party in yet another state (neither the receiver nor I have an FFL).

Must I:

a) have an FFL in my state send to an FFL in the receiving state, or

b) send the gun directly to an FFL in the receiving state?

Any informed legal opinion would be welcome. Thank you.

Skorzeny

------------------
For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the supreme excellence. Sun Tzu

It depends on state law in the receiving state. In CA, it has to be FFL to FFL. The FFL in the receiving state should certainly be able to tell you.

Fed law: FFL to FFL, for handguns. (Or ATF interpretation/regulation, which is the same thing.)

My local dealer sez it's okay for you to ship a long gun, yourself, (interstate) to either the factory or to an FFL--but for its return after repairs, it must go back to you through your local FFL.

If the return after a repair needs to be through an FFL then Professional Ordinance committed a big NO NO. I believe the receiving party can be shipped the long gun as long as it is shpped UPS w/ signiture required. To the original owner.

This is a lost cause. If the laws are so confusing that the people writing and enforcing them don't know what is legal...how the HE** are we supposed to know.
I get a different answer every time I ship one. The laws don't change but the interpretation dues. Good luck.

------------------
lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate

Could always practice a little civil disobedience! Its not like you have a spy satellite beamed down watching your every move (at least not yet).

Once the government prohibited alcohol too. Guess what, people still bought and sold alcohol.

Re-read that 2nd Amendment. Don't see anything in there that allows the government to infringe upon the RKBA. Do you?

Freedom will live.

I disagree with some of the answers given but instead of adding to the murkiness I would suggest calling the local BATF office and asking them. Just do it from a pay phone. :)

Back