Starting to stock up on slugs, any advice?

Deja vu

I am looking to start stocking up on 12ga 2 3/4 inch slug. I will be shooting them through a smooth bore. Any advice on a cheap but useable slug for building a small stock pile? Looking for something that is $1.00 a round or less and will perform well on mule deer sized game.

There's so many to choose from, it's hard to recommend what might be best in your gun.
I've found that the good old Foster type slug through a modified choke is best in mine.

I like RIO ammunition. a box of 5 RIO "Royal Star" slugs can be had for about $3.49 a box around here. It appears to be pretty good ammunition, I tested quite a bit of it before I built a stockpile of it. They also make "Royal Buck" 00 buckshot as well.

I shoot them through a cylinder bore 18.5" 870, I have tested it out to 100 yards with these "Royal Star" slugs, I have not used any of their "low recoil" ammunition.

I really like the Federal Tru-Ball slugs. Generally $4.50-$5 per box. Wal-Mart carries the 15-round Winchesters for $12 or $13. Those can really put a beating on your shoulder. The Federals are a little softer.

PSA is currently having an Easter Sale on all kinds of stuff.

Estate 00 buck, 2 3/4" 12 gauge, $14.99 for a box of 25. $3/box (5) is tough to beat.

Brennekke KO's - cheapest of the "premium" slugs and usually do well out of both rifled and smooth bore barrels.

Try some of the cheaper foster slugs first. I have a smoothbore that shoots Remington Sluggers more accurately than any of the more expensive rounds, and they are on sale every fall for about $3 a box. If you get lucky and your gun likes them it will make it easier to stock up.

I apologize, I just revisited this thread and realized I gave info for 00 Buckshot, and the the OP was looking for slugs, my bad.

Still, good price on 00 if anyone is looking for it.

Another fan of the federal truball slugs here. The truball slugs are the most accurate in two of my three shotguns. My maverick 88 prefers fiocchi Aero slugs. Shotguns can be ammo sensitive, so I tried a few different types of slugs (and buck!) before I settled on these two choices.

Back