Starting Long range rifle shooting/ first gun

jhf

Inactive
I am looking into starting long range rifle shooting, what would be a good used first gun that will be versital enough to grow with? I am thinking something like an M1 or a 223 ar style? any ideas? and what would be a good price for used for your suggested gun

What do you call "long range?"
The NRA definition is 600 to 1000 yards.
NRA Highpower is 200 to 600 yards.

Best visit someplace where the sort of shooting you are interested in is being done and get acquainted.

The vast majority of the guys shooting in the Service Rifle category are shooting the AR. It's cheap, cheap to accurize, cheap to maintain, and cheap to feed. It's got a little edge accuracy wise over the M14 and M1 and it's a lot easier to shoot the AR well because you don't have to contend with recoil. The M1 works fine, it's just getting pricier to feed.

Ty

I plan on mostly 200 - 600 because that is what is available, as AR's are pricey is there a copy model you might recommend?

what price range are you looking at for this rifle? A good AR will be any where from 800 to whatever you want. I think M14's start at a little over a 1000 bucks. I you don't need a semi-auto, then maybe get a savage bolt in a caliber your comfortable with.

The M1 is another option, but ammo is getting spendier and it will cost you more to really work it into match condition (there's a lot of stuff you can do on the cheap though to make them shoot pretty good). Rifles from the CMP start at around $400 these days.

If you go the AR route, the A2 and A4 configurations are currently allowed under Service Rifle rules. I would look for a match barrel with a 1:7" twist to be able to throw the heavier bullets you'll need for the full 600yds. Full-on match rifles have an upgraded trigger, float tube under the handguards and NM sights.

Ty

Back