starting load

dr1445

i plan to try some 45 round balls in havester black 50/45 sabots with my tc omega. just working on a range load no other purpose as i have round ball molds for my revolvers. pyrodex p will power the load. i am thinking of a starting load of 75grains for 50yds maybe 100 later on. good place to start?

75 gr. is a little high to start with. I have been shooting a .50 flinter for years and have used 50 gr. as a mild target load and will go to 75 - 80 gr. for a hunting type load. You are pushing a light weight projectile so you don't need that much powder.

Range time is in order

i plan to try some 45 round balls in havester black 50/45 sabots with my tc omega.
Excuse me if I am not completely understanding your shot-string. If your RB is at .440 or .445, then you don't need a sabot but you will need a patch. That is unless you are using one of the hard-ball sabots. If you are wanting to shoot a .45 pistol RB with the sabot, I don't know about performance but sounds like a waste of a sabot. ... :confused:

Now then, generally speaking on a rifle, the min load is the caliber or in your case 50grns and two times that on the max. I believe the Omega max is rated at 150grns. Now then, somewhere in between 50 and 150, is your optimum target and hunting loads. You will likely find that the optimum target load is in the 70 range and the hunting is in the 90 range. As fineredmist has stated, the 75 may be to high to start with. Back down to 50 and in 5grn steps work up to your target load. On your hunting shot string, go ahead and start at 70 and step this up as well. .... :)

Good Luck and;
Be Safe !!!

the 50 cal omega twist rate is to fast for use with a pb, or so i have read, since i have never tried it. i have .454 and .457 balls which will fit the havester black 50 cal sabot. it should be more cost effective than shooting 45 cal bullets with a sabot. the intent is to find a good offhand practice load. its been a hard winter for shooting but i did manage to get my t/c black diamond and omega shooting decent with hornady swagged lead 240 44 cal bullets with sabots. i will back up my starting load to 50 grains for the round balls and see where it takes me.

Okay ???

the 50 cal omega twist rate is to fast for use with a pb, or so i have read, since i have never tried it.
That is generally true. Let me just say that if you impart too much spin to a round ball, It will not shoot well for you. Doesn't make any difference if it's patched of sabotted. Now, that hornady swagged lead 240 44 cal bullets with sabots. is a different story as it will work on the faster twist. .... ;)

Again,
Be Safe !!

i did a search on the subject and found some + results. i already have the balls and mold for my revolvers all i needed was a quick run to cabelas for the right size sabots.

This:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/73...-485-diameter-hard-ball-with-sabot-box-of-20?

Powder charge: I've never focused on such a wanting purpose. (sabot balls) Maybe start your charging on the low side and work up scale like any other weapons experimentation. Your Owners Manual probably states your rifles lowest acceptable charging in its text someplace. Consider researching TFLF library. Or check out some other web sites for the needed info.

i checked your midway link, i see loads with 85 grains of t7 and up, thanks. just cast some .451 balls in my lee mold, i will be giving them a try shortly with the black havester 50cal sabots for 45's.

ok, i shot 4 rounds commerical swagged .457 balls, and 3 lee mold cast .451 @25yds, all powered by 65 grains pyrodex p in the omega. 2 shots on the right are 457 balls, the left group is the rest. looks good enough to pursue at 50yds. springs here maybe the 50 yard target stands will emerge from the snow?

Back