Star PD - Dates of Manufacture

web_ronin

Inactive
Can you give me an idea of at what point in the serial number range the Star PD turned 'crappy'? I know that late production guns didn't share the same reputation for quality as the earlier guns. Just wondering if there was a 'cut-off' or an outward sign that would serve as a red-flag for anyone picking up a used PD.
Thanks.
Jim

I would look at the importer markings: Garcia, the 1st importer of Star PD, had a bad reputation. After Garcia decided to get out of guns and stick to fishing gear in ~1977, Interarms picked up the Star importation. The quality complaints stopped after that.
I have both Garcia and Interarms PDs, no apparent difference in quality. I bought both new, and both work fine. I seem to recall it was the Garcia customer service, or lack thereof, that caused the complaints.
Nice carry gun, but I wouldn't shoot it a lot - the alloy frame will not take it.
LT

As I recall it, the Star PD started out as a fine weapon and then toward the end of it's career, quality started to go south. Particularly with the slide. Anyone else?

I own two of the Interarms Star PD's. I find recoil not bad even at 25oz. They are Very accurate and dependable. I really like these guns.

Back