star moel f target 22 lr.

mega twin

I recently re-aquired a pistol I sold to my brother 26 years ago. It is a star model f target.ser. no. 4902xx. Does any body know the date of manufacture and approximate value / I would say the condition would be in the good to very good category. thanks for any help, mike

I can't tell you the date of manufacture but they were made from 1942 to 1967 and imported (Spain) from around 1955 to 1967. They are fairly good pistols; the trigger pull and accuracy are not really up to true target standards, but they make good plinkers. Parts are iffy as the company is now out of business.

Value in 90 percent runs around $100-125. New-in-box can go $325+.

Jim

Here's a picture from Gene Gangarosa's "Spanish Handguns", showing the date codes assigned to guns by the Spanish proof-house; these codes will be found as a letter (sometimes a letter and number) next to the main proof on the frame (which looks like a shield with crossed rifles in it). So, if your pistol has a "Q1" next to this proof, it left the factory in 1972, and so on. Hope this helps.

SpanishDate-codes.jpg

Thanks SDC, it shows a b1 so 1956 is the production date. Thats what I was needing.thats the year my brother was born,so I think I will give it back to him. Appreciate the replies.,Mike

I bought a Star 22 with 6" brl. back in 1963 and still have it. Never had a problem with it other than a broken firing pin caused by dry firing. Well finished and dependable.

Well,gave the gun back to baby bro.He was needing some work done on his truck was the only reason he was wanting to let it go.I didn't even shoot it this time around. I traded for it originally sometime between 1975 and1981, and shot it some then,and it worked great. The grips had a funky feel to me then, andstill felt that way to me now:)

Star Model F

A buddy of mine has one since about 1970 or so.

Those are the best sized general purpose 22 lr pistol every made. I"ve never figured out why an American company can't make something similar. It's the perfect hiking pistol.

Back