Star Model PD .45 ACP

dhdallas

Inactive
The Star Model PD .45 ACP is a compact and lightweight semi-automatic pistol which was manufactured from 1975 to 1990 by the firearms manufacturing company Star Bonifacio Echeverria, S.A., located in the city of Eibar in the Basque region of Spain. Featuring a low-profile adjustable rear sight and with its aluminum alloy construction, this resulted in a slim, compact, lightweight (25 oz) and relatively powerful pistol, revolutionary for the time.

This gun was in rough looking shape when I bought it from an online auction but after a thorough cleaning and a new internal buffer it functions great. Check out the before and after photos. The Cerakote work was done by Critical Koting, the grips were purchased from GRIPS4u.net, and the extended magazine from joespawn1243 on eBay.

Coyote Tan H-235
Federal Standard Sabre Sand H-33446

Before
46342142_360812661357567_4118852295171506176_n.jpg

After
46493606_360810601357773_7095939469445955584_n.jpg

Last edited:
Your photos aren't showing up.

It looks as if the Shutterfly link is behind your login, which means no one can see it without logging in.

The google photo also appears to be pointing to a location.

You need to investigate both a little bit more and see if you can get a viewable link to the photo itself.

I was able to see the google photo. that's a REALLY sweet rework!

The PD was far beyon it’s time, I carried one plain clothes many years ago, just keep a good buffer in it. Recoil is not wimpy so if you are this is not a pistol for you.

I have a good friend who had one back in the '80s. He thought it was the cat's PJs. Unfortunately he was one of those people who practices with what he carries and despite replacing the buffers regularly he shot it to pieces in short order. When he found how hard parts were to get from Star he sold it.

Dave

I've had two of them, one had a not-uncommon cracked frame, and I'd buy another one if the price were right.

I gave my last one to a close friend who took I’ll and died shortly thereafter...lost the many firearms I had given him to the relatives who sold everything.

I have 2. A customized one and a factory chromed model with fake pearl grips.
If I were going to carry a .45, they are what I would grab.

Tremendous improvement making for a fine looking pistol, enjoy it.

I do have a question. In the before image the serial number is well pronounced, did you sand or bead blast as I can hardly make out the serial in the after image?

Ron

Wow, talk about making a silk purse out of a sow's ear. I wouldn't have given the original gun a moment's glance, but the finished item is a museum piece. That is one gorgeous pistol.

An ugly duckling of a pistol can be made beautiful if the shooting condition warrants it and one is willing to spend a few bucks. This Star is a beautiful example, I recently posted on a different forum before and after photos of an FEG Hi Power that came from a police unit in Israel. The pistol shot well so I spent $200 and had a Metalife finish applied, that and new grips revealed a transformation similar to this beautiful Star PD. I am looking for another “beat” pistol to try a spray Duracoat on for a home project. I have used Duracoat on a number of AR’s that have since had heavy use and the finish seems to be holding up well.

Back