star firestar?

sjones

does anyone own one? are they any good. what is thier web site.I am looking for a small lightweight 9mm,phigh cap,preferbley in single action like the 45. thanks. sj

Good guns for the money. Great car guns.

Had a Star MegaStar in 45 ACP and boy was it a tank and accurate too.

I had a Firestar in the 40 cal variant. I loved that little pistol. It really shot like a champ (one of the most accurate handguns I've shot!) Every now and then the slide wouldn't go all the way back into battery, and would require a slight tap on the back. I believe that was the only drawback to the pistol. I sold it because the blueing was wearing badly, and it was starting to develop a rust problem. I benched it for a while, trying to decide whether to refinish it (NP3) or to sell it. I chose to do the latter. One of my friends still hasn't forgiven me for selling it away and not asking him if he wanted it.

Had one in 9mm... Pretty good gun overall, SUPER fun to shoot, but HEAVY! Probably on the same lines as the Kahr K40, maybe a bit heavier. SA is probably a plus for some, but it was a negative for me and CCW. (personal taste)

I have one in .45. It is very reliable, accurate and heavy. They are no longer made and there are no parts available, this includes grips. The factory mags are still around. The high cap 9mm has a alloy frame and you can get the 10 round mags for about $25 or $30. The 13 rounders go for around $60 and up. Overall it's a nice well made pistol.

Had the M43 in 9MM. I have shot the 45 in Starvel (Stainless.) Buy one ,if possible ,that's stainless. The blue versions wear badly.They are superfun to shoot,and bpoth the models I have fired shot to point of aim.I would definitely buy the 45 to justify the weight of the gun,and would have a 1911 replacement as well.They will need a trigger job to get very smooth.
Alan

The Firestar: Gone but not forgotten. When these pistols came out around 1990, they were the first subcompact pistols in a full-sized service caliber. They caused quite a splash in their day. I recall hearing for the first time the term "pocket rocket" (indeed, an unfortunate term) in reference to these pistols. They were made in Spain and imported by Interarms. Interarms died with its founder. Star was taken over (along with Astra) by the Spanish government and now focuses on making firearms for the military there. I have been told that parts are around, but my guess is that they are not easy to find. Buy one if the price is cheap, but be aware service and parts may be a problem.

I have a good friend who owns a Star Firestar 9mm. He was a Navy SEAL, two tours, Vietnam. He likes it well enough that he carries it every day and has, for years. He's not had any problems with it, and it's plenty accurate enough for self defense. It's much more concealable than his Colt's Govt. Mdl. 45, yet functions just the same, single action, cocked and locked.

FWIW. J.B.

I bought one in the early 90s and just could not adapt to the weight, it weighed more than my Sig226. Between that and the low capacity mags it was one of the few handguns I have let go of and not felt bad about. MWT

I have one in .45.

It`s reliable and accurate. I carry it when I don`t feel like carrying my HP. It`s about as heavy as a Gov`t model and with 6 & 1 some won`t like that. It will rust if it`s neglected too long.

Good value for the money, prices are usually low.
Has beveled magazine well, ambedextrius safteys, white dot sights, rubber grips, checkered front and back straps. They are accurate and well made. The minus side is that although it is very small and concealable it weighs 30 ounces in 9mm. I do not minde the weight myself because the gun is rugged enough to stand up to thousands of rounds of use. A person can practice with it all he wants and not worry about a cracked frame or slide that is often common with pistols that are made with aluminum frames or very light weight slides. The star 9mm is all steel although the frame and slide are a casting not a forging. I like my firestar very much. It is single action which means the first round hit probablity is much higher than trying to cope other brands that are double action only or double action with the first shot. They were also made with a nickle finish called starvel which should resist corrosion much better than the blued models. Do not pass up a blued model though. Just keep a light coat of break free on it. I have not had a problem with rust with mine because I always keep a light coat of break free on it. W.R.

You can get magazines from Ajax Grips and CDNN (best prices), both in Texas. Numrich may carry some parts. I don't carry mine much because its so heavy but its a nice pistol, well made, accurate, reliable.

Star Firestar

As stated above they are no longer made, but they were great little guns. I have the Md#43 9mm and got a great deal at the time because Star was going out and the dealer wanted to unload them. My only complaint would have to be its weight, If I carry it I feel as though I need suspenders:D It is a good shooter though ;)

I have both an MD 40 (.40 cal) and a Star Firestar Plus (9mm). I love them both.

The MD 40, which is nickel, is heavy, but small and accurate. The Firestar Plus, which has an alloy frame, is much lighter, has a double-stack magazine.

Both are single-action only, both have good triggers (the .40 has been worked on) and both are great carry guns. The 9mm is my concealed carry weapon. About the same size as the Kel-Tec P-11 (a little larger and about 7 oz. heavier) but easier to shoot well, and very, very accurate.

(I have a bunch of other handguns, including some high dollar ones, but these are among my favorites.)

Got a new one for sale

I still have in my inventory a Firestar 9mm 7 shot blue new in the box. Has been in my safe for at least 7 years, never owned. This thread reminded me of it. If any one is interested I would like to get $295 plus shipping costs.
Dave

Stewart Brothers Shooting Supplies
863-325-8881

Back