Star Firestar Exactractor/ejector problems

Ed Brunner

I bought a used Star M-43 Firestar. Liked it a lot until I fired it. It fails to extract and/or eject every 2 or 3 rounds. Either the fired case will remain in the chamber or in the extractor. I don't see a problem with the extractor, but I am not familiar with Star. The ejector is loose. It appears to be mounted to the frame witn one pin and is rocking on the pin, however this doesn't appear to be the problem because it rides in a slot in the frame which probably keeps it from rocking. Could it be too short?
I cleaned behind the extractor and the chamber is clean and dry. I'm stumped. I really think I would like this chunk of steel if it were reliable.
Any ideas??

Ed, I have a firestar .45 that is reliable. The ejector is loose like yours. I'll check out my pistol later today and see if I can see anything that might help you out.

Ed, it sounds to me like your extractor needs attention. I'm not familiar enough with this pistol to know right off hand what style it uses but you might look at deepening the hook and perhaps a stronger spring. George

Thank you both. I appreciate the replies. I'm going to take it back. It bugs me. I really liked the gun, but it's gotta work.

Let us know if you decide to keep it. You could have a mag problem too. There isn't alot of room for the ejected round to get out of the ejection port. If the top round in the mag rides too high up it can cause ejection problems. Did you take an empty shell and see if the extractor will hold it with the slide off of the frame? Like george said it could be something simple like a spring. Good luck.

[Edited by railroader on 05-22-2001 at 02:11 AM]

Back