Star fierstar in 9mm questions

Keifer

I'm looking for a 9mm pistol for my wife. She has experience with .22LR and .38special and now she wants a pistol of her own. She does not like the recoil of my .45s even with light loads and has decided she wants a 9mm. We looked at just about every model available at the gun shop and the one she like most was the Star Firestar. She's a lefty and wants a lefty mag release.

Does anyoneone have any experience with a Star? How are they for reliability and getting parts? Thanks in Advance.

Keith

I have one in the starvel finish, and it seems to be the one most liked by all the females I've known who tried it. it's a bit heavy, which keeps down the recoil. It's my wife's favorite. Keep in mind that it is getting harder to find replacement parts and mags for them, since Star is out of business.

Firestar

Keifer, I have a Md#43 Firestar and believe it to be a pretty well made handgun. It is a bit on the heavy side though. I have had no problems with mine and I have heard about firing pins breaking on them. Don't know if this is true or not. As stated above Star is out of business so I really don't know where parts could be obtained. CDNN does have supposidly the last of the Star mags, so for now they are still available. I don't think you could go wrong with it.
Another handgun which might appeal to your SO is the Walther P5 Compact. I know that for women this gun has been recommended before here. I have the full size P5 and it is a great handgun IMHO but I'm sure a bit more costly ;)
Hope this helps :)

You may want to check out this thread ;)
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=67033

I have three FireStars one 9mm and two 45's and they have been excellent hand guns no problems at all. No parts breakage no jams, nothing wrong. Numrich has parts for them if any were ever needed.
I always watch the used gun shops for them as I like them that much. I have a lot of other handguns but these are great guns as far as I'm concerned.

I'm going to have to do the obligatory "redirect" based on personal experience and taste... I apologize in advance.

Since Star is out of business, and parts COULD be an issue, might I suggest the slightly lighter and similar feeling Kahr K9? (boos and hisses from the readers for not sticking to the subject)

My sister-in-law had a Star FireStar in 9mm. It might have been a fluke, but it would jam from time to time. I absolutely LOVED it though, as it was a cute little chunk, and a LOT of fun to shoot.

FWIW, I know the mag release on the Kahr isn't a leftie, but I am, and prefer using my middle finger to drop a mag, even on ambi guns like my USP45. (no shift of hand position) I also prefer the striker fired DAO over a SA only design, but that's just me.

Good luck.

Mag drop on sigs can be right or left.See if she likes the 239 sig in 9mm.I have owned 2 stars in 45 and both where good shooters but one did crack a slide.Star replaced the complete gun at the time but now that is not an option.

After firing my friends' I was stunned by its accuracy.

Must have been a great one, huh?
Been flawless since new for him.

I have an M43 Star Firestar, and I used to have on in 40 SW in starvel finish too [but I threw it at the guy that sold it to me [mistake]].

The M43 is well made, accurate, small, reliable, and ergonomic.

The bad part is they sell for $250 now on the secondary market and they are very heavy. Where you gonna find parts?

Firestar is my wifes favorite small gun!! After 3,000 rounds it's still going strong. It may be heavy but little recoil and accurate. The magazine disconnector is a slight pain, but so minor not be an issue.
I did a IDPA shoot with one last month. Finished 7th out of 19 shooters. You do your part and that little gun will more than do it's part.
Can't go wrong with it.

Back