Star BS

erob3

Hello everyone. I would like some opinions on this and other 1911 style pistols. I have researched and read for weeks about the Star pistols and am reasonably convinced they are a good quality piece. I have never owned a 1911 style pistol and will probably end up keeping what i purchase for quite a while. With that said I have been reading here and other sources that these pistols can be bought for $150 - $250 but also they have been going up in price over the last couple of years. Currently I am looking at one on Gunbroker, in what appears to be almost new condition, for $320 - final price after shipping and FFL would be $360. I know the BS model was made up to 1983 so I'm assuming this explains the condition. If I'm going to spend this amount of money is there another 1911 I should be considering for a bit more. I really like this pistol as it looks the closest to a Colt I've seen. Thanks to all who reply.

While I can't speak to the BS I can attest that a Star 30M that I owned (until it was stolen) was one of the finest full frame 9mm pistols I've ever seen. It was very well made, smooth, functioned perfectly, and built like a tank.

That said given the price they're at these days, unless you're a C&R collector I'm not certain why you'd want a 1911 clone in 9mm?

Quality wise, however, I don't see how you'd be disappointed.

Best,
Oly

Keep in mind that Star's, some with pivoting trigger et al, are different than your basic 1911 - enough so, that the "normal" aftermarket accessories that one might usually want/buy/install on their 1911 just aren't available or won't fit.

Stars are good pistols. I have a Super Modelo in 9 Largo that's a joy to shoot.

Forget about parts interchangeability with the 1911.

I have read that some internals were not hardened.

Back