Star BM mag availability

wnycollector

I recently picked up a Star BM 9mm. I love the pistol. It fits my hand like a glove. Its accurate, reliable and inexpensive. Mine only came with a single mag. I'm looking to pickup two spare mags. Every distributor I can find online is out of stock. The secondary market of Gunbroker and EBay has them for $40 + shipping :eek:
I can't justify spending $85 on two mags for a gun that cost me $199! I'm scowering gun shows for some but no luck thus far.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I too love the Star BM, have eight or ten of them myself, I purchased extra magazines when I could afford them $40 bucks is about average for any quality pistol magazine these days. Personally I rarely have need for more than the mag in the pistol when it is empty I stop and reload it. If the weapon is for carry purposes an additional mag would be convenient however after carrying for fifty plus years I never had need for a second magazine. I think the price of the pistol is irrelevant if you need back up mags “suck it up and buy the magazine”.

I recently picked up a Star BM 9mm. I love the pistol. It fits my hand like a glove. Its accurate, reliable and inexpensive. Mine only came with a single mag. I'm looking to pickup two spare mags. Every distributor I can find online is out of stock. The secondary market of Gunbroker and EBay has them for $40 + shipping :eek:
I can't justify spending $85 on two mags for a gun that cost me $199! I'm scowering gun shows for some but no luck thus far.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I picked up a Star M-43 a few years ago. When I went to find extra magazines, $40 was the going rate.

Wnycollector, I think you will find two magazines will suit your needs quite satisfactorily short of an encounter such as those in the motion picture industry where a five round tube on a shotgun will hold 23 shells......and 22 of them miss the target.

Lbmikey, the Star is not a carry gun for me, just a range gun. I just like to have a spare mag for the spare mag. Kind of like the belt and suspenders thing ;)

I picked up a Star M-43 a few years ago. When I went to find extra magazines, $40 was the going rate.

I used to have a couple of Star PDs, and the mags were $40, twenty years ago.

I've learned the hard way a few times now that when these surplus pistols come in waves that buying a bunch of mags is a good idea. I did so when I bought my Star BM and then when I bought my Makarov.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I have ordered a couple of used mags off Ebay. I also found some on Triple-K's website, both used OEM and newly-manufactured Triple-K mags. Prices on the used mags at both sites were about $38 per mag but with free shipping from the Ebay web store.

As to the new Triple-K mags --- I've never used any but Triple-K seem to have a good reputation.

Aim Surplus had mags at $20 per mag, but you had to buy a $200+ pistol too. That would be a case of the tail wagging the dog. :)

Kyjim, Triple K magazines are a crap shoot——lay your money down and hope you will get something serviceable. I have had Triple K mags that were not dimensionally correct and would not fit the mag well, fixed floorplate mag that blew the floorplate, spring, ammo et all out the bottom, and various other problems. I also have a couple of their mags that work fine.
Ask on any forum and you will hear plenty of good and bad on Triple k.
Star OEM mags rave available and well worth buying over aftermarket

Ibmikey--

Thanks for the info. I had already ordered a couple of the Star OEM mags. I view the BM simply as a plinker and would normally prefer an OEM mag just for the sake of authenticity.

I purchased a Triple K magazine for my Star model PS , it's a 45 acp but they will not take Colt magazines. It has always worked and the price was reasonable so no complaints on Triple K mags. If they have them give them a try. Star magazines are not that common .
Gary

Gwpercle, I guess we both struck gold with Model P magazines from Triple K, my spare came from them and so far has not had a problem with functioning...like I said before some work some don’t.

in the 80s I had a star PD and BM. they were very good guns from the limited and short time I had them. today I hear that the bigger issues are firing pin breakage and parts replacements are near impossible to find.....

Back