Star BM 9mm, rear sight position

konstan

On my Spanish Star BM 9mm surplus pistol, by the time I got done adjusting the rear sight so the aim is "centered", the rear sight position is way to the right. Look at this:

OX0UljI.jpg

Is there anything that's to be done about it? Is this acceptable? It just seems...SO off center..

I looked at the fit of the end of the barrel in the bushing, and it's not loose.

It is possible to do it on just one gun, and not others, especially if one gun's trigger is crap and the others aren't. Or you flinch with one and not others, (or flinch more....) Not common, but possible.

Is the front sight centered?? (not terribly familiar with that guns, is the front sight dovetailed or staked?)

Have you tried other brands and types of ammo???

Guns can do weird things, and shooters can be even stranger, sometimes...

One fellow brought over a pretty Colt SAA clone .357 (I forget the exact brand) and it was a pure joy to shoot with 158gr .38 Spl. Dead on point of aim at 20yds, shot TINY groups. Every single .357 load we tried, shot 2 FEET LOW and a foot left at the same range, and in the hands of 3 different shooters.

Try some other ammo, try another shooter, see if tis the same or not.

I just find it hard to believe the pistol is shooting that far off, I have over a dozen BM/ BKM pistols and all shoot close to point of Aim ( just a bit left) .

Have another experienced shooterput a few rounds through it, preferably someone who shoots some single action semi-autos. This will give you some indication if it is you or the gun.

Put it in a Ransom rest, sight it at paper and get confirmation from other gun savvy types, and see where it shoots without a human hand on the trigger.

I have a Star F model that is a bit that way, not nearly that bad, in fact, the last time I looked at it I couldn't see the eccentricity.

A Ransom rest is a good idea but not easily available to most people.

Plus proper grip plates might be hard to come by. I made my own up with epoxy putty on 1/4 aluminum and it barely worked and was very messy to clean up. Still, if a gunsmith in town has a RR he could shoot close enough with flat plates to judge windage.

Ransom Rests are about the ultimate, but they aren't in every shooter's gear (or price range) and require mounting hardware specific to the gun you want to shoot. Which might not be available for uncommon guns...

I think that several experienced shooters (something probably more common, and much cheaper ;)) being able to shoot the gun should "cancel out" any single shooters "human factor" errors.

In other words, if you can get half a dozen guys or gals to try it, and it shoots to the left for all of them, then, buddy, your gun shoots to the left.

But if it shoots dead on for a couple of them, or more, or shoots differently for each, then I'd say its the human factor, not the gun.

And, do use some ammo of known quality for testing. If all you've used is one brand (or batch of milsurp), its not impossible that the ammo itself could be a big factor.

Chat up some folks at the range,. see if they'd be willing to "help out". You'll probably find a few who are willing, and some of them might actually know how to shoot! :rolleyes:

Back