Star .45 Model PD

Óscar.45

Inactive
Hi there, I own a Star .45 Model PD.
While getting ready to unload my pistol, I could not move the slide back to it's open position to be able to engage the slide lock
The same has a bullet stuck in the chamber.
It is actually the first time I have any issues with it.
Can someone help me with some tips.

Hold the gun by the slide. Hold TIGHT.
SLAM the other hand into the backstrap HARD.
Hey, Jim I tried the hard slam in the backstrap and it's a no no. I'm going on saturday to the range and will try in a safe place to place the tip of the slide on a soft piece of wood and try and cock it. What do you think?

When that happened to me a number of years ago, the gunsmith at the range shop had to clamp the slide in a padded vise and use a leather mallet to drive the receiver forward.

unsafe?

A Star PD, cocked and locked on a live cartridge/round (not bullet)...but unable to clear same as slide will not retract.......yes?

I wonder what length of time that pistol has been in that condition.....cocked and locked, with a live cartridge.

Would it be all that unsafe to take the pistol to the range and just shoot it??

Is there any chance that the previous round was a squib and the projectile is stuck in the barrel just ahead of the chamber and that is messing things up?

At the least I would use a rod inserted from the muzzle to ensure the barrel is clear all the way to the nose of the chambered round.

A Star PD, cocked and locked on a live cartridge/round (not bullet)...but unable to clear same as slide will not retract.......yes?

I wonder what length of time that pistol has been in that condition.....cocked and locked, with a live cartridge.

Would it be all that unsafe to take the pistol to the range and just shoot it??
Actually this happened to me four days ago, it was not cocked. It was loaded, Thumb Safety and hammer are working fine. I was able to engage and disengage both.

Thanks for the correction, hey still got a lot to learn

Thank you Jim

Hi everyone, good news, It was not the ammo.
I re tried Jim's advise with a spider grip glove and smacked the strap but just once and voalá... out came the live round.
Always using all safety precautions!

It ended up being that the Star PD has a plastic slide buffer that was already worn out.
The top portion of the barrel has a slight angle that was stuck against the slide's opening to eject the empty shell.
A deviation of maybe a millimeter.

The funny thing is that I had already bought i this buffer months ago and simply forgot to replace it.

Curious note: this buffer is to
1: avoid the frame to crack in the slide's catch
2: to align the barrel with the slide.

Thank you all

Special Thanks to Jim.

Last edited:
That's the trouble with buffers. We didn't allow them on duty firearms since they can cause malfunctions. Plastic gets worn and deformed and then they seize up the fyre-arm.

I did what Aguilar_Blanca described once. A deputy jammed up his Sig with a cleaning patch and couldn't get it open. I put it in a padded vise, got a block of wood to place against the slide and with a hammer, gave it a smart whack. Trick is not to have a death grip on the vise lest you mess up the frame.

Back