Standardizing on Glock 9mm

XDforever

I am wanting to standardize on Glock 9mm for my carry and home defense purposes, mainly for the mag compatibility. I have the 19X for home and sometimes carry, but want something just a bit smaller for EDC. I believe my choices are the Glock 26 and the Glock 19. I can get the MOS version for the 19. I can also get the slide milled for a red dot for the 26, at extra expense.

What opinions do you guys have on my idea? Which gun is more shootable? Accurate? Easier to EDC? Better all around gun?

Thanks,
Joe

I have a 26 (and a 19). The 26 i always seem to carry with an extended mag to give my pinky somewhere to go. So it ends up being G19 grip length. At that point, i would just as soon carry the 19.

I solved this major first world problem by EDC’ing my Wilson X9, which is also G19 sized…problem solved. Lol

I think the G19 sized platform (S&W M&P compact and others in this size range) are great EDC guns. Big enough to shoot well, small enough to conceal with any thought to wardrobe. I carry smaller guns when clothing dictates deeper concealment (a Sig 365). When i cant carry even that, a throughly tested Kel-tec 3AT, fills the bill. 95% of the time its a G19 sized handgun for shoot ability, mag capacity, sight radius, recoil control, etc.

Last edited:
I used to carry a G27 which is the same as the G26 just in 40 S&W. I shot it as well as I could shoot the 23/19 or the 22/17. However when running timed drills I found I could draw the G23 almost 3/4 of a second faster and place the shot on target. I carry the 23 now exclusively.

You are your own expert, but I think you will find all safetyless double stacks extremely wide and highly sensitive to holstering errors.

Last edited:
I EDC a G26 with Magpul 12 round magazine. It gives my thirteen rounds in a gun that basically disappears, but still shoots like a larger gun. Of course, as you mentioned, can use any magazine including the 33 rounder which is fun at the range.

If you’re using a holster with a rigid opening I have never found this to be an issue.

I would love to agree with you, but there have been several. A proven issue without a hard countermeasure is likely to happen again. I’m sure many will manage around this and very few will not.

That said, I accept my Jframe with its 12lb super long pull as a countermeasure….of course supported by rigid holsters and diligent training.

There have been several what? Holsters or pistols?

Edit: when I say I have never found this to be an issue, I’m speaking to my personal experience (I thought that went without saying). The only one who can speak to my personal experience is me. If when you say you would love to agree you mean your personal experience differs that’s fair enough (and hence my question above about which holsters and/or pistols). However, my point from the beginning wasn’t to discount your experience, but to share my own.

Last edited:
The only Glock I own is a 26. I bought it for increased capacity one a S & W 36 J frame and a 9mm Shield. While I like my 26 - it shoots and functions well - I don't necessarily love it. I carry OWB in a Fobus paddle holster under a shirt tail or jacket. I carry a spare mag in my left front jean pocket - nothing else in pocket. For me, it carries O.K. but I do notice the thickness and extra weight of the double stack mag - but IMHO, that's the price of more capacity. I'm in my 70s so that may be a part of it - everyone is different. Given my druthers, I'd personally would rather carry a single stack - I carry the shield in the same style Fobus holster and for me, it's a much lighter and easier "carry" - but I'm giving up some round capacity.

If you like the Glocks - how rgwy feel and shoot - the ability to interchange magazines is certainly a plus. If you have the desire for a 9mm carbine, you can always add one of the 9mm carbines such as the Ruger PC9 which has a Mag well that can be changed out to utilize the same mags that you would be using in your 9mm Glock handguns. I'm planning on picking up one of the Ruger PC9 carbines to have on hand in our home in southern AZ for HD as I have plenty of mags for my 26 as well as several with a greater capacity.

All depends on your preferences are and the Glock line are good reliable handguns. Good luck!

May I ask a question?…..

With the username XDForever, how did you fall into the wicked web of Glock?

No offense intended.

I would love a PC Carbine. I truly wish the new S&W FPC came with the Glock mag option as it is about 2 pounds lighter than the Ruger PC9.

Joe

I run a g19. I find the shorter grip makes it easier to carry than the 17 or 19x.

Im not a fan of the 26. I find the grip is too short. I wind up with a pinky extension that leaves me as long as i was with the 19.

Well, I made it to the Waxahachie Gun Show this morning. I got there about noon. I made my way around the 300 or so tables and no vendor had a 26 gen 5 except 1. That model was the gaudy Stars and Stripes one for $699. I was not going to pay $170 more than retail for it. There was one vendor that said he had two when the show opened, but they went quickly.

Not sure what I will do at this point, but probably go ahead and order one from Grab A Gun for $539 then go pick it up. Academy has them in town for $569. I might be tempted to just get one from there.

Joe

I can get the MOS version for the 19. I can also get the slide milled for a red dot for the 26, at extra expense.

Palmetto Arms sells clone glocks and the have slides milled for MOS for sale

gun.deals and search for the US "UA"

USA UA goes for $500 new.
https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/764503037337

I just saw and almost went for a Gen5 in like new condition on gunbroker yesterday that ended at $350. But the P365XL does it for me.

Gun shows, for me, are like leaving a voicemail. It's for old people :D JK! but I honestly don't hear people post many deals for used at a gunshow that isn't cheaper new on gun.deals

Well, I made it to the Waxahachie Gun Show this morning. I got there about noon. I made my way around the 300 or so tables and no vendor had a 26 gen 5 except 1. That model was the gaudy Stars and Stripes one for $699. I was not going to pay $170 more than retail for it. There was one vendor that said he had two when the show opened, but they went quickly.

Not sure what I will do at this point, but probably go ahead and order one from Grab A Gun for $539 then go pick it up. Academy has them in town for $569. I might be tempted to just get one from there.

Joe
If you were close enough to go to the Waxahachie show, you might be close enough to visit GT Distributors in north Dallas near 635/Garland.

Back