Standard Springfield M1A Accuracy

Senco

Inactive
I have a Standard M1A which consitantly shoots 2.5" @ 100 yrds with most ammo, but never better than this. This is with and without a scope. Is this the best I can expect?

That's really not bad considering that during 1962 and 1963 NM M14s were based on requirements developed during the NM Engineering Program. That's where each NM M14 was required to fire 69 match rounds without a malfunction during testing.
They also had to pull any rifle that exceeded an extreme spread average of 3.5 inches at 100 yards.
To answer your question, yes it can be made to be a little more accurate, but different things such as bullet weight, sights, hold, breathing, and even heartrate come into play here.
As I mentioned in another post, I installed NM sights, suppressor, and glass bedded my standard, and my groups are consistantly under one inch, 'course, it COULD just be luck, where the next time I shoot a 5" group. (Let's hope not!) ;)

------------------
Happiness is a tight group!

[This message has been edited by Outlaw1 (edited October 16, 1999).]

Outlaw1

So you use only metal sights, no scope? Did you attach NM sights yourself? Finally, any thoughts on scoping the M1A - necessary or not? TIA

Senco, 2.5 MOA is not bad at all. Looks like it's time for you to start working on your rig. You might be surprised how much glass bedding the action and adding NM sights would help. Those are two things that you can do for yourself without spending much money.
When you start fussing about your M1A just shooting 1.75 MOA then we can discuss spending money!
Good Luck,
Hank

My standard M1A does about 1.5 to 1.0 inches at 100 yds with 168 seirra BTHP, loaded to 2.800 and c-34 primers with 4X.X grains of IMR 4895 (fear of lawsuits get the best of my load data)

Now as a comparison, my SuperMatch does about .5 to .75 inch with the same load and my NationalMatch does about .6 to .9 with the same load except I switch to IMR-4064.

I am using a leopold (sp?) 6.5x20 VA adjust scope and a good bench rest.

I would suggest that you fiddle with some match ammo and see what it is really capable of with a good scope, then start working on the gun.

Good Luck.

pete

Yes, I do have a scope on it now (a Simmons 3-9X40), but I also shoot it a lot with the ironsights.
My best group with the ironsights was 5/8" with Federal Match ammo, which I still think was just plain ol' luck because it's hard to duplicate it even with the scope.
But all my groups still average around .75" to 1"
Oh yeah, I should also add that before I installed the sights and glassbedded it, my groups averaged 1.5" to 2", so I reckon it musta' helped some.
Happy Shootin'! :)

------------------
Happiness is a tight group!

[This message has been edited by Outlaw1 (edited October 17, 1999).]

Senco, All of the above seems like some pretty good info to me. I don't know if you reload or want to but it is a great help.
If, as you said, your rifle shoots the same with several brands of ammo and weights of projectiles I would start with glass bedding the action. Cost, a bit of reading, some questions here, some time on your part, 20 bucks for some AcraGlass and clay. Bedding will help and doing this first will make it easier to chase down the accuracy question.
IMHFO
Hank Lampe

Thanks for everyones suggestions, I think I will try bedding the stock, and go from there. The threads on the poor quality of some Springfields have really supprised me, and I guess I really expected more like 1.5" from a rifle with this background/pricetag. Thanks again.
-Senco

I don't know about the Standard..but I just blew the cobwebs out of my "Factory Loaded" today. I had to make sure the last time I had it out and got a 5 shot .75in group at 100yrds with the standard iron sights wasn't just luck. Nope, today in the rain, Federal Gold Medal Match 168grns two five shot groups right at an inch. Now I am scared to to touch it.....do I have a magic rifle?

Maybe I'll get a mount and scope for Christmas.

------------------
lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate

Senco:

The first thing I'd recommend you try is relieving the flash suppressor to NM standards. I can look it up if you want--essentially the stock unit is a bit too tight at the front end and creates air turbulence or something good for between .5- and 1.0-MOA extra dispersion in your group sizes.

To experiment with possible benefits of glass bedding, stick one or two layers of business card (the skinny way) between the stock and the receiver before clamping the trigger group in. The cards go on the top of the stock, all the way forward, on the horizontal surface which mates with the bottom of the receiver "ledges." This placement usually results in an approximation of the proper downward pressure which the barrel of a properly bedded M1A should should receive from the stock's forearm.

If neither of these tricks helps the groups, you might have insurmountable barrel problems which glass bedding may or may not help. Unlikely with a new-production item, but it does happen!

Back