Standard Arms SA-9 Range Report

Cruzer

Well, I made it out to the range with my new Standard Arms SA-9 (see this link for my "First Look" post http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=62456).

Executive Summary: 100 rounds Winchester whitebox, no malfunctions whatsoever. Can't get any better for the first trip. Rear site worked itself loose - need to Locktite the sucker in place. Still cautious on long-term reliability.

I really like the trigger on this pistol. It has a half-cock feature (at least mine does), which keeps the trigger at a ready position, though still heavy enough to make me feel safe with it. The trigger is very smooth compared to the Kel-Tec P32, KT P11, and Taurus PT-11. I was able to place 100 rounds into a 10" group at 10 yards. The muzzle flip is much more than my Sig P239, although still manageable. First 2 magazines, I noticed that the cycling was sort of abrupt (like the bullets were trying to get stuck on the feed ramp). After that, everything went quite smooth. I am impressed with the overall package and the pistol's accuracy for my first trip. The takedown pin is very tight (I guess they wanted to avoid the Kel-Tec P11 problems with the pin falling out). I took the gun apart twice during the session, and didn't notice anything unusual.

I brought the gun back home, wiped it down, brushed the barrel, and lubed it. The slide fit is snug, and there was no noticeable wear other than the bluing on the inside of the rails, and the area where the hammer runs along the inside of the slide. I had applied grease on the rails and on the hammer before this trip. There were no stray burrs, and overall feed reliability while cycling manually has improved. I am cautiously impressed with this gun. I definitely do not like the horn on the trigger guard, and the lack of checkering or stipling anywhere on the grip. If I can get 500 rounds through the gun without any malfunctions, I will add it to my carry collection (P239/40 when I need the firepower, P32 for casual carry, and SA-9 when I need "casual firepower"). I will post a longer-term review once I've gotten 500 rounds through it.

A couple of additional observations:

I looked at the pistol again this morning. It appears that the barrel hood is rubbing against the inside of the slide during cycling. Doesn't appear to hurt function though, but I'll be watching it closely.

Also, the 1/2 cock feature is apparently also a safety feature. Kel-Tec's P32 has a half-cocked hammer which rests off the firing pin, which makes it safe if dropped. The P11's hammer rests on the firing pin, and was reported to fire when dropped during its early life - more recently, tests have shown that it will fire only if dropped from over 6 feet. At half-cock, the SA-9 hammer lifts-off the firing pin, apparently making it much safer if dropped (my logical reasoning, not confirmed with Standard Arms).

I will be testing their customer service next to order an extra rod and spring. Wish me luck.

How much does it weight? How painful is the recoil compared to P11? Does it eject empties at the user? What's the magazine capacity?

The weight is 16 ozs empty (same as P11). I have never shot a P11, but I would say recoil is snappy and can become painful at the 75-100 round mark. I got hit on the head by an empty case once during the session (probably around #15 or 20), otherwise, the empty cases were ejected far to my right. Standard capacity is 10 rounds, although I understand you can use S&W 59 series high caps (12 or 15), with P11 spacers or finger extensions. The mags are exactly the same as the MecGar mags for the P11.

Had and sold the P11,assembly pin fall out problems like you mentioned.How is the pin on your SA-9 holding up?Is it
the same as the Kel Tec?
John

The SA-9 pin looks exactly like the P11 pin. It appears to me that the spring that holds the pin in is much stronger than the p11 pin, and the the pin is held a little deeper into the frame. This makes it harder to fall out, and also harder to take down.

Back