Standard Arms Model M

StandardM

Inactive
I inherited a Model M from my grandfather and would like to continue using it. My problem is that it is a .30 remington and the ammunition is no longer made. I don't reload nor do I have much brass to begin fooling around with it. I found a .35 remington barrel for the model M and was wondering if they were interchangeable.

This conversion wouldn't work as the case head sizes aren't the same. You would need a new bolt and who knows what else.
As the .30 Rem is based on the 30-30 Win. but rimless, you might look into converting some 30-30 by turning off the rim and cutting an extractor groove. (This really isn't as hard as it may sound if you have access to a lathe)
Years ago I had a Standard Model G. That is the one that, with the "flip of a
switch", would convert from a pump to an gas operated auto. Fascinating gun, wish I still had it.

Dean

Start hitting gunshows.

Loaded ammo and brass is still readily available in .30 Remington. It was a very popular cartridge for a long time. You can also buy brass I believe from Starline.

Start handloading for it. It's not that expensive to get set up with a very basic loading rig.

Thanks guys.

Looks like I'll be attending a few gun shows soon. I found a friend of a friend that would reload for me if needed. I will probably go that route as soon as I burn through a few rounds.

I really love the gun. Of course, a lot of it has to do with my grandfather's stories that come along with it, but it just feels right when I have the target in my sights.

Thanks again,
Chet

Back