Standard 686 Plus Deluxe now same as Talo edition?

SEHunter

I’m about to purchase a new 686 plus deluxe 6” and was looking for a Talo edition because I want the dark laminated square butt wood grips. So after tons of internet shopping im seeing the talo and non talo 6” deluxe both having the same mfg# of 150712 and most images of non talo listings show the dark laminated wood talo grips on them with no mention of Talo Edition in the description. I realize a lot of sites will use generic images sometimes but it seems pretty consistent across all sites.

So can anyone comment on if S&W is now using the talo wood grips as the standard grips on the deluxe guns? And im not talking about the 3-5-7 grips, I’m looking at the 6” with the square butt woodys. Thanks.

Maybe I'm confused because I thought those both are the Talo grips? I thought the basic Deluxe grips were the lighter orange wood and the Talo was the darker rosewood color? Btw I appreciate you taking time to look up those links

TALO editions of the 686 have dark stained wood grips that look highly uncomfortable AND a cylinder that hasn't been machined.

The Deluxe has a machined cylinder and comes with red/brown wood grips.

The TALO editions are 3,5,7--ie, 3", 5", and 7" barrel models.

Yeah it’s kind of confusing. The 3-5-7 series is pretty clear and I agree those grips do not appear to be comfortable, especially with full power 357 loads.

The 6” square butt Talo edition deluxe is where the water gets muddy. However, I like the grips on the guns in the links you posted, so being those are advertised as a standard deluxe, im just going to forget about looking for a Talo. Thanks for your input, much appreciated.

AND a cylinder that hasn't been machined.
:confused:

A cylinder that hasn't been machined isn't a gun part, its just steel, waiting to become something...

perhaps you mean something else??

I do believe you have stubled onto something that even the S&W forum hasn't addressed well. Good find.

You know what? Look at Talo's website: http://www.taloinc.com/smith-wesson-firearms/the-357-collection

"SOLD OUT

Any of these S&W models produced in the last 3 years are not official TALO models. "

It is possible the Deluxe was always a TALO for S&W. However, I would bet $100 no matter which sku for the Deluxe you order, the other would come the exact same.

Good find OP.

Wow, I missed that when I went to Talos website. Very interesting. Looks like the standard deluxe is in my future. Again, much thanks.

44 AMP- I'm naive sometimes so I’m not sure if you were kidding or not (being a mod with a zillion posts) but that’s just a different way to say the cylinders in the Talo 3-5-7 series guns are not fluted like traditional cylinders are. For a time I thought I really liked the look but I’ve since went back to preferring the appearance of a fluted cylinder.

Some find my posts grating and nit pick :)

To be fair to me, you cannot have flutes on a cylinder without machining the flutes. A cylinder, by definition, has already been machined into a cylinder. :)

Interestingly, the 44mag Deluxe is also randomly called the TALO Special Edition too. Like the 686 Deluxe, this isn't consistent.

Given how NO 686 has been around for about a year, it's not surprising no one but yourself has caught on that TALO and S&W parted way, directly stated on TALO's website.

Again. Kudos to you.

Back