Stamping a Barrel

Shooter2675

I am a prospect builder of a .458 Win Mag in a Savage 111 action, and was looking at Brownells .458 win mag barrel kit. It says it must be stamped per NFA requirements. I have never heard of anything like this, could someone shed some light on this?

Thanks,

John

I don't know about requirement but it's a very good idea. It might prevent someone from firing the rifle with the wrong ammo.

Call Brownell's and ask them. I can find NOTHING in the NFA. There
are some ATF standards for caliber marking on imported guns.

When I build a rifle I have to stamp the shop name and the caliber on the barrel. Could that be what they meant?

Could they be meaning a proof mark? Factory barrels are stamped with the maker and caliber, because it is the best place to put it. The required stamp, that I know of, is a proof mark. How one could stamp his own, would be beyond me. However, in the US, gun makes do their own proofs, whereas in Europe, they use government proof houses.

I was told that if a barrel is attached to a receiver, the caliber must be marked on the barrel. We engraved ours at school.

Gary, I think the caliber and proof, or at least for a manufacturer. Custom work is a horse of another color, it would seem, on the laws.

New BATFE regulations make many gunsmiths into manufacturers and require the appropriate license. The rules are not simple; I don;t think just rebarrelling a customer's rifle meets the definition, but rebarrelling rifles to get them ready to sell does.

Jim

If a DEALER builds the gun, he is now required to have a type 07 manufacturing FFL, and is required to stamp/engrave his business name, state, and city on the gun.
This does not apply to individuals building a gun.

If a DEALER builds the gun, he is now required to have a type 07 manufacturing FFL, and is required to stamp/engrave his business name, state, and city on the gun.
This does not apply to individuals building a gun.

That makes sense. What doesn't make sense is Brownell's saying it's
a NFA compliance requirement. Unless a person is building a SBR, SBS,AOW
or some other configuration regulated by NFA it shouldn't be a NFA
issue.

Back