Staking castle nut on AR15

td922

Inactive
Plan on starting my first build and I watched a video from sootch00 where he was building a lower to a ar15 and he didn’t stake the castle nut on the tube. I was just wondering if I should do that. I plan on getting a buffer tube and sticking to that one and not changing it around.

Do what you feel comfortable with.

Some people here stake everything.
Some only stake certain types of nuts/end plates.
I haven't staked a single one of mine.

I haven't had issues. But, my ARs also don't see hard use, abuse, or thousands of rounds per year...

I don't have a single "staked" castle nut AR on the rack. Unless you frequently use your AR for a club, prybar, or spear, I see absolutely zero need to stake.
I've had exactly ONE castle nut loosen over the last ten years and I suspect it was simply due to insufficient initial torquing. I was probably a wee bit too conservative with the wrench.

I've seen dozens of castle nuts come loose, more often from riding around in vehicles and rattling around than shooting; but it can certainly happen.

However, I've rarely seen it cause any kind if failure. Typically the stock just gets loose and someone borrows my wrench to tighten it. After they've done that a few times, they stake it or use some kind of light threadlocker. When it does rarely cause a failure, the failure is always the buffer retaining pin being launched into low orbit next time the rifle is disassembled.

Most of the time it has happened has been at shooting classes; but I'll occasionally come across someone at the range with wobbly stock.

"...use your AR for a club, pry bar or spear..." Like the PBI. snicker. Shouldn't be something that requires staking.
"...from riding around in vehicles and rattling around..." An armoured type's kidneys do that too. Typical civilian AR isn't getting bashed around that much though.

I don't think it's needed. I know guys who shoot Three gun who never stake theirs. I've shot a lot of rounds through guns without the castle nut staked without issue. I still stake mine though. It's cheap insurance. It's still easy to get the nut back off, just a little extra grunt.

Back