Stainless Winchester Model 94!

EXPLORER

I saw a stainless Winchester model 94 Trapper at a gun shop! This was news to me, as I thought only Marlin (and Rossi?) made stainless lever actions. No mention of this on Winchester's website or catalog, as far as I could tell. Anyone know if Winchester is going stainless in other lever actions?

Did you actually examine it? Are you sure it was stainless? Maybe it had been refinished?

------------------
"Anyone feel like saluting the flag which the strutting ATF and FBI gleefully raised over the smoldering crematorium of Waco, back in April of ‘93?" -Vin Suprynowicz

It had to be refinished. Maybe dull chromed?

I follow Winchester developments quite closely and it is unlikely they would introduce something like a stainless 94 without fanfare and the usual preproduction pass around rifles for the gun rag writers...

How about this: A stainless (or blue even) Winchester 94 "Classic"- a 94 without the stupid safety- it would probably cost less to manufacture. Mate that to a laminated black and grey stock... I'm dreaming now.

Marlin made a good move. Will Winchester follow?

It was definitely a Winchester 94 Trapper; I examined it. It was priced at $589 (ouch!). It had the usual "Winchester" stamped on it, and had the saddle ring on the left side. I'm no expert, but I thought chrome was a bit brighter; this had a finish that was more like the usual semi-dull stainless we are all used to. At first I thought it was the youth/compact model, as it seemed awfully short, but the attached Winchester tag had 34" on it. I'll call the shop and Winchester on Monday for confirmation, and will report back.

Yes, Winchester has a stainless M94 with a black synthetic stock. I'm torn... On the one hand it is great in terms of durability and ease of maintainence. On the other hand it is a classic, American design meant to come in blue and walnut.

Here's the scoop, direct from Winchester: A LIMITED number of these were made in 98 or 99 (they weren't sure). They were "Shot Show Specials". The person I spoke with could not tell me how many were made.

Just talked to Winchester again. First, They are a 1999 model year. Second, they are not stainless but "brushed chrome". Third, they made 2,000. Fourth, I quoted full retail in my original message; the dealer is selling this gun for $499. Rats. Will somebody please make a synthetic stocked, stainless lever action? Sorry if I got your hopes up.

Back