Stainless Steel Uberti Colt's

Fingers McGee

While I haven't seen or heard of any of these rare Ubertis lately; I know there are still a bunch of them out there somewhere. So............ Let's update this request for info.

I am seeking the location of, and any information available on a line of stainless steel percussion Colt revolvers made by Uberti and imported by Allen Firearms, Santa Fe, NM; Southwest Muzzleloaders Supply, Inc. Angleton, TX, Uberti USA, and possibly others in the early to mid '80s. Phil Spangenberger did an article about these stainless revolvers in the October 1983 issue of Guns and Ammo Magazine. According to the article, the models that were being imported were the 1851 Navy, 1860 Army, 1861 Navy, 1862 Pocket Navy, and 1862 Pocket police. Thanks to Dr. J.L. Davis of RPRCA, Claremore, OK, I have a 1984 price list for Uberti products that lists fourteen different models of Stainless Steel Colts produced by Uberti at that time. Subsequent price lists expanded the line to 16 models by adding 4 ½ inch barreled Pocket Navy and Pocket Police. The complete model list, known so far, is:

1851 Navy, Oval Triggerguard Revolver, Cal. .36
1851 Navy Squareback Triggerguard Revolver, Cal. .36 *@
1851 Navy “Sheriff’s Model” Oval Triggerguard Revolver, Cal. .36 *
1851 Navy “Sheriff’s Model” Squareback Triggerguard Revolver, Cal. .36
1860 Army Military, Cut For Stock, Cal. .44 *@
1860 Army Military, With Fluted Cylinder, Revolver, Cal. .44*@
1861 Navy Military, Cut For Stock, Revolver, Cal. .36 * @
1861 Navy Civilian, Revolver, Cal. .36
1861 Navy Military, With Fluted Cylinder, Revolver, Cal. .36
1861 Navy Civilian, With Fluted Cylinder, Revolver, Cal. .36
1862 Police, Semi-Fluted Cylinder, Revolver, Cal. .36, Barrel 4 ½”
1862 Police, Semi-Fluted Cylinder, Revolver, Cal. .36, Barrel 5 ½”*@
1862 Police, Semi-Fluted Cylinder, Revolver, Cal. .36, Barrel 6 ½”
1862 Pocket Navy, Engraved Cylinder, Revolver, Cal. .36, Barrel 4 ½”*
1862 Pocket Navy, Engraved Cylinder, Revolver, Cal. .36, Barrel 5 ½”*
1862 Pocket Navy, Engraved Cylinder, Revolver, Cal. .36, Barrel 6 ½”
(* - have identified location of examples of these models)
(@ - have this model)

So far, total is now 25 known. I have seven of these revolvers and know of eighteen others in hands of other collectors or BP shooters. Anyone with information concerning Allen Firearms, Southwest Muzzleloaders Supply or any other Uberti Stainless Steel Colt style revolvers is requested to contact fingersmcgee@charter.net I am seeking information as to models, manufacture dates, serial numbers, barrel markings, barrel lengths, trigger guards, and any other characteristics as well as any catalog, brochure and original packaging information.

Of course, if anyone has any for sale, I would be interested in that also.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee

Fingers, there's a seller on Gunbroker who claims his Armi San Marcos 1860 is polished stainless. At this link....http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=554484223

However; I believe he either doesn't know what he's talking about, or is lying. Because it does not look like stainless to me. It looks like either nickel plate going bad or in the white with corrosion starting. Plus I don't know if ASM ever made any stainless 1860's. I've never seen any stainless 1860's from ASM in all my years. Anyway, thought of you when I saw it since I know you have an affinity for stainless 1860's (if this is one which I highly doubt).

Also seems to me.....

that it's polished steel (white), with some of the bluing remaining. Like someone got tired of polishing. Hard to tell except for the closeup of the barrel/frame junction.

I think some of those "stainless" have some stainless parts and others parts are nickled. I have a stainless 1858 and a magnet does stick to some parts. Stainless isn't supposed to be magneticable (a non-word that we laughingly used at TSJC).

drobs - I know about V35s SS Pocket police. He may not remember; but back in 2011 I offered to buy it, and have pictures of it.

Bill - It's entirely possible that it is a stainless model - ASM made a bunch of them in the early 90s - I've had a couple of them in the past. The quality of the steel wasn't all that hot (IMNSHO). The cylinder on one of the ones I had was a bitch to keep clean.

Stainless isn't supposed to be magneticable

Some stainless is magnetic. Cabela's used to sell some guns that were polished steel and looked like stainless. They never said the guns were stainless but people bought them thinking they were.

Back