Stainless steel needed for carry gun?

ninja92

Inactive
I am looking at purchasing a Kimber Ultra Carry .45 for a carry gun. What are the advantages of getting the gun in stainless steel over the normal black aluminum framed?
Someone said the ss would not rust because of sweat. Is that for real?

If given a choice I always buy stainless; it doesn't rust as fast as 'blued' guns. Aluminum doesn't rust.

If you intend to shoot your "UC" much you'll discover steel is more durable than aluminium.

I've shot two Ultra Elites. Nice guns that don't depend on weight to dampen felt recoil. I'd still get stainless myself.

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"

Same questions are asked about the USP SS vs. HE finish.

The black finish has its obvious tactical advantages, but like all finishes overlaid on metal, it will wear off the more you present your weapon, eventually requiring the extra expense needed to refinish the gun.

Stainless is more readily visible, which might or might not be a good thing tactically (it could make you more of a target, but it also might let a BG know more readily that he is dealing with armed resistance to his attack), but you don't have to worry about the finish wearing off.

jth

------------------
Exodus 22:2 -- Biblical precedent for home defense.

There has been documented case where subjects did not yeild from the threat of a blacked out gun = but instantly froze at the sight of a shiny stainless one.

And a SS gun looks better longer.

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
Hey, have I mentioned my new book? It is called:
MEN ARE FROM MARS and WOMEN JUST NEED TO DEAL WITH IT!

I have 2 stainless steel pieces in my collection. After buying those I swore I would buy nothing but. I found they were easier to keep clean, They don't rust. They make treated cloths that wipe away the powder burns and they always look good,To my knowledge they never show holster wear. But if carried for protection they could make you a target as mentioned above. And after all these years I still by blued or parkerized guns. The only stainless gun statement didn't hold true

------------------
gun control is people control

Dear Friends,

I bought a Kahr K9 in stainless about two weeks ago. After carrying it in a Thunderwear-type holster, every day, it is already rusting in several places. So, what's the deal? Is this normal for stainless? Unheard of?

With stainless, can I use some sort of light abrasive to rub out the rust?

I have never had a stainless gun before, so I need some good advice.

Thanks!

JP

------------------
Nehemiah 4:18 " ... and each of the builders wore his sword at his side as he worked."

It depends on the grade of the stainless steel. Different alloys have different chromium, nickel, and other metal contents. Hard (martensitic) stainless grades (like 400 series stainless steels used in cutlery) have less chromium than the soft 18Cr-8Ni grades that are used for most anti-rust applications. Also, some alloys have lower chromium content to lower cost. It is my guess that the Kahr is made with a lower chromium (cheaper) grade of martensitic stainless.

It also depends on your personal body chemistry, some people have more problems with rust on a weapon kept close to the body than others. The problem is definitely not unheard of.

You can probably use a light abrasive to remove the rust, but you will likely be unable to match the finish on the rest of the gun; I have not handled a Kahr in stainless, so I don't know whether it is a bead blasted or polished finish, but you will not be able to match the original without polishing or bead blasting. Perhaps someone else can suggest another rust removal method. Nick19

There are chemically treated gun cloths on the market for wiiping away powder burns,and cleaning bores on SS guns. I believes these to contain a mild acid. Maybe a wipe down from one of these will solve your problem. I have used them for years to clean my SS guns but I always use a gun solvent afterwards. Try in a small unnoticable spot first. I can't recall the name but your local gun shop should have them. There is also a bore cream out that may work. Buy I would use caution with that also.

------------------
gun control is people control

Really George? I didn't know that stainless guns were more intimidating than blued guns to some folks. Whatever scares the bejezus out of the BG is good enough for me. I know that long barrels tend to ward off bad guys and I use to carry a 6" revolver (stainless).

Stainless steel is more rust resistent than blued guns, but if neglected, will rust. The real advantage to stainless is that you won't ever have to reblue it.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Use OOOO steel wool to remove the rust. It won't leave any marks. I've used it on blued guns to take off corrosion without marking the finish.

On bright SS, i.e., not bead blasted or highly polished that looks like nickel, a Scotch Brite pot scrubber (not steel wool but coarse real wool) will restore the bright parts to original appearance. HTH

------------------
Be mentally deliberate but muscularly fast. Aim for just above the belt buckle Wyatt Earp
45 ACP: Give 'em a new navel! BigG

Another angle to think about: sometimes you don't want a shiny gun. As unobservant as most people are, a dark colored gun can be held at arm's length at your side, just behind the seam line of your pants, ready to go. Odds are that it won't be noticed until you're ready to bring it up. (Always cheat!) If there is no need then there's nothing to explain and write memos about. I used to polish the end of the muzzle for any intimidation advantages it might have. As to finish durability, blued guns wear, but that just shows you use it a lot and gives it character. If I were on or near salt water, then I'd probably go for the stainless.

4V50 - I have seen it with my own eyes... I have had officers mention that to me... and I have read about it - but I don't remember where...
It would seem that the Darkness runs from the light. I just wish everything else was like that!

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
Hey - have you seen the new Ultimate Super Tactical Match Gun?

Let's put the term tactical to rest. If I assume you are going to legally carry ccw then you will not be prowling dark corridors in a swat uniform.
You should not pull your weapon untill you know you have to shoot so the likelyhood of stainless becoming a target only becomes true if you are doing the swat thing.
From much experience in NYC, If you pull your weapon to fire on a BG he will either 1. see your weopen and beg for mercy, or 2. turn to fight. 90% of the time #1 is true. In #2 by the time he grabs his weapon a bullet should be moving at a rapid pace towards him.

The point:
It's your choice but I prefer my gun to be seen. I don't want to sneak up on someone with my gun. If I pull it I want it seen. It may be the the last sight that prevents me from having to shoot. Trust me, you never want to shoot no matter how bad the BG is. Sometimes you have to though.

Stainless will clean better and last longer.

If I were a cop I would probebly prefer the opposite .

------------------
"It is easier to get out of jail then it is a morgue"
Live long and defend yourself!
John 3:16

[This message has been edited by leedesert (edited December 02, 1999).]

Yes, I have applied for my CCW permit and I will not carry until it comes in. The permit is for CONCEAL carry, conceal being the key word. I do not want to announce to the world that I am carring a gun. I would rather it be kept unseen until needed.

Back