Stainless Steel Jags

Trocheo

Inactive
After reading the current issue of Varmint HUnters magazine. I noticed two authors using ss jags to clean their rifles.
Does anyone know where to buy these jags to fit the dewey rods?
If you do please email me ddtrocheo@aol.com
Thanks in advance. Crisp Triggers. I'm out.

Gentlemen these are jags not brushes. the jags do not touch the barrels. If all jags were made to touch the inside of a barrel then we would all be in trouble. They use the ss jag so they wouldn't get a false indication of copper fouling off of the brass jags. thanks for warning thought though... cause ss brushes are hurtful critters thanks for the response. Still looking for the ss jags

Understand stainless jags. The patch should fall off at the muzzle, so your jag is now "exposed". Do you unscrew the jag from your rod when it reaches the muzzle end?

CS (more confused than ever!)

I also understood stainless jags. I still think they are a bad idea. In a .22 barrel, for example, there is very little clearance. And if the jag is tilted slightly at the muzzle, whether cleaning from the muzzle or not, it might nick it.

moving to Rifles to increase coverage

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes" RKBA!

Back to the top.

Come on guys we need some more opinions here. Trocheo's observation about ss helping eliminate false copper indications when using copper removers is a good one. Anybody here use ss jags?

The whole idea sounds scary to me.
In any case, when I get my barrels totally decoppered with my Outers Foul Out II, I don't get any false readings of copper presence from my jags. I don't think this is a problem. I think that if the patch still comes out with any blue, you still have copper in the barrel, probably in little pits from a rusted bore if it seems to take forever to get out.

I just ran a little test of my own. I soaked a patch full of Sweets 7.62 Solvent, rubber banded it to a brass jag and let it set for 5 minutes. Sure enough, it did pick up a "false" blue copper tint from the jag.
I guess one does not notice this during cleaning because one uslually pushes a soaked brush or patch down the barrel and then follows with a couple of dry patches to sop it up. One does this until the dry patches come out clean. They will on a good bore, so I guess the dry patches do not pick up much copper from the brass jag.
I still doubt this is much of a problem and the thought of the steel jag somehow nicking the barrel seems a bigger concern.

I can understand the logic about the false copper fouling readings, kind of, but the blue/green streaks should be on the outside of the patch if it's comming from the barrel.
At least I seem to be able to read my Sweets patches that way.
No, I personally wouldn't use a SS jag in my
rifles. How about one of the cheap nylon ones for that purpose? It's not like you're going to use it for any serious scrubbing. Just a thought.

Back