Stainless steel Colt Python

StrawDog

I have a question for the Colt aficionados. When were these guns produced and what is the opinion on quality and colectablity? Thanks SD

I think some of the later ones, like the Python Elite, were made in stainless. I don't think it was common on the early ones as the first widespread stainless revolver was the Smith's and Wesson's Model 60.

They are cool, but don't look as good as the deep buttery blue of Colt, or the super shiny nickel look. It used to be a good finish for a "working Python", but nowadays there are very few of those as the insane prices for them relegate most to occasional pampered range use or as safe queens. But, I'm sure there are still some out there rocking Pythons in their holsters, some cops even in certain areas.

Hopefully, someone more in the loop on Colt prices than myself can chime in if I'm wrong.

In some circles, there is zero interest in the stainless Pythons. Folks really weren't sold on the whole idea of stainless steel in general at the time. The irony is that there are much fewer of those on the market than the blued ones.

A motivated collector, who must have a stainless model, will pay a premium. However, there aren't too many of those.

Thanks for the replies. I have seen results of an auction site which confirms that these were not highly prized. It does seem like it would be an excellent range gun depending on the price. Probably too expensive

The first stainless Pythons debuted in 1983.

Personally, I much prefer the carbon steel examples. The early Pythons are considered better anyway.

It does seem like it would be an excellent range gun depending on the price.
If you're going to buy a Colt "snake" gun at this point, and you plan on shooting it, you need to consider one very important variable: spare parts.

Colt doesn't make replacement parts, and the few folks who have an existing supply aren't letting them go. If something breaks, fixing it could be very expensive.

Back