Stainless Steel Cleaning

bjdealer

A Long time ago in a forum far away, I seem to remember some threads about WHAT NOT TO USE when clening a ss model.

I am the proud owner of a Taurus 44 mag RAGING BULL 8 3/8 in barrel SS revolver. Went thru 50 44 spec and approx 65 44 mag mostly PMC, some Win, all 240 gr. did NOT clean porting holes prior to first range effort.

Usually use Tretra Action Blaster, and Hoppes #9, followed by MILITEC-1 as final oiling. Could not for the life of me get the powder residue off the SS in the porting hole cutouts. The Raging Bull M444, ports are cut into the barrel about 1+ inches from the muzzel, the "porting chamber" extends back from the muzzel slightly farther than the port holes (the description and measurements are not at this computer, therefore estimates only).
What Works best fro cleaniong SS ??

What should I stay away from??

Range Report: The gun is HEAVY!! Apparently Taurus ships their adjustsable rear sight revolvers with the elevation screwed way down. After I finally realized I was shooting VERY low, and slightly left, made the appropriate adjustments and this big cannon is acceptabley accurate (for 59 yr old eyes) from a sand bag rest (w/o a scope) of 3 to 4" spread with standard over the counter 50/box ammo. Maybe its just getting used to, but I can shoot an old Dan Wesson Model 12, .357 67" barrel into approx 2" at same distance.

Due to the barrel porting, the sand bag based recoil is quite easy to get accustomed to. Not much more flip than the DW .357 shhoting rem High Vel rounds. Decidedly more pressure back into the web of my hand but not unconfortable. Went thru 65 .44 mag rds on first outing. Free hand...its another story altogether. The Taurus grip with the compressible insert appears to do what the ads say it will do. Would like to shoot it at night to see the fireball!!

Not a bad deal, considering Taurus' lifetime fix(for the weapon) and Davidson's full warranty for $469.99 + NV tax and fees and had in hand the same day it was received by the dealer.

Using a "lead removal" cloth on stainless steel revolver will usually remove all of the discoloration from firing on the front of the cylinder. How to get the cloth into the porting cutouts will be the biggest problem.

You might try soaking with a penetrating oil. I have found that an over-night soak with Corrosion-X will lift any leading off of the forcing cone and bore of my cowboy guns, leaving them bright and shiny.

strips

I cut the lead removal cloth into strips and use them to "floss" small areas. I think this would work with the ports if you pass one end through and then run the strip back and forth.

Back