Stainless or blued. What is more accurate?

Moe

I'm considering changing to stainless. Is stainless rifles less accurate than regular blued rifles when everything else is equill?

I have a 7mm browning composite stalker with boss and considering changing to the same rifle in stainless. I noticed the rifles the guys used at the national Boss compitition on American Shooter were all blued.

Thank you for your help.

Moe

The color of a barrel is no indication that it is or isn't stainless. It could be blackened stainless.

However, addressing your question, no there is no difference in accuracy, all things equal. Some of the top barrel makers in the world use stainless steel (Krieger, et al).

I am aware that the color of a barrel has no effect. I was refering to the material.
Thank you.

Moe

Moe,
From my limited rifle compition experience, I believe that the actual material of the barrel does not have much effect on accuracy. (of course, that's assuming it is QUALITY stainless or carbon steel we are talking about)
Much more important are things like the type of rifling, how true the bore is, the chamber, stress relief, etc. (Of course bedding, triggers, and the other externals are at least as important to over all accuracy.)

I understand that there are at least 3 grades of barrels. In general, standard production guns just use the "good" or standard grade. While this will sometimes give very good accuracy, serious competitors go for the higher quality custom after market barrels to get as many variables checked off the list as they can. A real close look at a competitors rifle will most often present a weapon that is an OEM receiver with after-market everything else.

I Buy stainless for durability, Blue because my wife thinks it is "prettier" (and I like it as well). But I expect the same minimum accuracy out of either and if it won't shoot I'm not shy about sending it back.
k

Stainless barrel material is more machineble than Chromemoly. You can hold tighter tolerances and better surface finishes therefore all match barrels are made of S/S so they are more accurate!

Back