Stainless Colt Gold Cup or HK P7M13

branrot

I know, they're totally different. It's like comparing apples and oranges. One is a modern concealable hi-cap 9mm, while the other is an ancient full sized big bore.

Anyway, one of these guns will probably be my next purchase, but I can't decide which. I've found excellent deals on both. They will be used primarily as range guns, with the occassional concealed carry use.

I have lots of other guns, including (closest to these) a Para-Ord P13.45 and numerous hi-cap 9mm's including the Beretta, Walther, and HK USP. I'm just looking for another toy. The P7M13 is about 150 dollars more than the Gold Cup. Which should I buy?

Go with the P7M13. Or better yet go with a P7M8. Gold Cups are nice guns but a really nothing special as far as accuracy. I don't care for the P7M13 because the grip is just to fat.

I was out shooting a friend's Gold Cup just last week. While it was a nice gun, it just didn't grab me, if you know what I mean. I agree w/ M16, get the P7M8 first - not the 13. The M8 is a far classier piece than the 13...imho.

- gabe (whose advice may bear no resemblance to what will make you happy :))

Gold Cup is really nothing special. Just another overpriced Colt. P7M13 on the other hand...

Get an HK.

If you like 1911 type guns, go with Kimber or Smith 945 (well, its not a "true" 1911, but close enough, and it is a fine gun)

The HK is the one that is "nothing special". HK builds fine handguns - for government contracts. But you will not find them as winners on the firing line in any competitive venue. Why? Because the 1911 design is still unequalled for human engineering and "shootability". You can't shoot an HK (or a Glock, Sig, Beretta, etc) as well as John Brownings defining masterpiece - human engineering factors seem to have escaped the thought processes of all our modern designers. And you are wasting time and ammo if you are trying to - with the more "modern" designs, that is.

Our shop recently got your gun from Colt. It is a new Stainless Gold Cup Trophy, with factory BoMars, Videki trigger and the best out of the box trigger of any handgun we have ever recieved. Other than night sights, it is good to go. Besides, you can win a lot of beer money in friendly competition with your more "progressive" shooting buddies who "haven't got the word yet". Warmly, Col. Colt

Colt. More accurate; better trigger; better sights; better fit/finish. HK? strictly a CCW piece IMO. Gets too darn hot at the range.

Go HK. P7s are more accurate than any 1911 in the same price range that I've seen. It does have a fixed barrel and 4lb crisper-than-crusty-underwear trigger. I agree with the guys on the M8 though. The M13 is just too big in the frame. If you need a 1911 like any other American man does, get a Kimber or Springfield.

Defintely the H&K P7M13 or H&K P7M13! Ask yourself - will you find another P7 in this condition at this price anytime soon? On the other hand, I doubt you'd have trouble locating another Gold Cup down the road. I say go for the rare bird.

Oy vey...

... the choices some folks suffer through. "The new Boxster or the new Vette? I can't decide!"

The Main Downsides:

Gold Cup: If you can buy any 1911 and not wind up spending a fortune on gunsmithing and gizmos just "because it is there", you have far more self control than I.

P7M13: Spare mags for this gun are scarcer than "Gore/Lieberman" buttons at a GOA rally and are priced like imported sin.

Have fun deciding! :p

Well, I got the P7M13. I found one on the gunsamerica.com for 995 with one mag and night sights. Unfortunately, by the time I finally got back to the guy, it was sold. Even though the guy was going to give me an inspection period, I didn't feel entirely bad because I've never bought a used gun sight unseen. However, I saw one at the gun show this morning, and finally bought it (with one mag) for 985 (including tax). It's in nice shape, and I'm very happy. I'll probably head to the range tomorrow.

Buy a Kimber

Buy a Kimber. Best accuracy out of the box, can shoot 45 Super with just the addition of a stronger recoil and firing pin spring. Fit and finish unequalled. Wish I could affort one....

Tamara,

Re your read on the price and availability of M13 mags...they're not that hard to find--NIB--for around $130. Granted, the price could be lower, but at least the things are bombproof, and ought to last at least as long as any M13 owner.

I saw a few P7M13 mags today at the gun show. One guy was asking 150, and the other 125. A third guy said he had some last week, and was selling them for 100. I've seen them on the net for as low as 85. BTW, if anyone is still selling any for 85.... I'll take two!

You see, there is a diversion here which creates a gap as large as Algore and Dubya.

The basic differnece in Dems and Republicians is that one thinks the government should solve every problem and the other thinks that Government shouldn't solve any problems (or is that the libertarians). They are diametrically opposed in principle.

Well any way, one of the hardest things for me to overrcome in shooting a 1911 and BHP is to relax the 3rd, 4th, and 5th fingers of my strong hand and move only the index finger on the trigger. Otherwise, the increased grip by those fingers on the front strap lead to "dumping" or dropping the barrel when I squeezed the trigger. The P7M8 (and for that matter all of those front squeeze grip semi-autos) encourage (even require) the squeezing of the front strap with those fingers while squeezing the trigger. This leads to a bad habit if going back to the 1911 or BHP.

The two are not compatible! They are diametrically opposed!

Squeeze grips seem to suit some but I have never seen anybody who switched between 1911 and BHP and H&K squeeze cocker grips. As for me, I not giving up the 1911 and BHP for an H&K that I have so far seen.

Yall, needn't expect any bidding competition from me.

PigPen

Back