Stainless 1991-A1 Problems

Grapeshot

This is expecially disturbing, since the gun is NIB but it looks like it was test-fired at the factory. Basically, if the slide is closed, pushing the mag release sends the mag shooting out of the gun, BUT if the slide is held open by the slide stop, you have to rip the darn magazine out.
What's wrong? Since gun is brand new, did I not lube something correctly?
Also, the trigger pull is inconsistent; there are two different pull weights, or maybe one just has more creep, can't tell. If you cock the hammer and pull the trigger, pull is great. If you rack the slide, and then pull the trigger, pull is crappy.
I haven't shot this gun yet, wanted to see if I should send it back first. Will it just break in?

Grapeshot,
Colt has really gotten into customer service lately. If this is a new gun, by all means call them and make arrangements to send it in for repair. I have some first hand information about how Colt is taking care of repairs lately and it is quite good. I think you will be doing yourself a disservice to do anything different.

It sounds like some interference between the magazine (follower?) and the slide stop. Pull the slide off the frame, and try to recreate the problem. You may be able to see what is wrong.

Jim

I confirm the comments about recent customer service at Colt. They made good on a defective Mustang for me recently. Send it back and make it clear you expected more from a gun that says Colt on it. I'm serious.

Regards,

Ledbetter

Grapeshot, Jim's on the right track. The reason it comes out so easily when the slide is closed is because the follower is pushing against the bottom of the slide. When the slide is open that pressure is supposed to come from the slide stop engagement. If it isn't I'm wondering how the slide locks back on the last shot. Adjustment of the slide stop engagement ledge on the follower should cure the problem. George

[This message has been edited by George Stringer (edited August 21, 2000).]

Thanks guys, your comments were extremely helpful. I was getting ready to send it back to Colt, when I had a theory. I took Break Free and sprayed LIBERALLY into every nook and cranny of the frame. (BTW, I had taken the slide off and the darn mag still wouldn't come out right.) After a whole bunch of playing with the gun, the mag started ejecting like it's supposed to! I guess something needed settling/lubrication. As far as the trigger is concerned, it seems better too, though I haven't fooled with it long enough to see if the problem is gone.
BTW, I love the gun but I have not shot it. I'm considering saving it - anybody think it will have collector value down the line?

Thanks again!

Back