Stacking my guns

Miles2014

This is probably a dumb question, but I've got a new safe and haven't had a chance to set it up and internally yet, so I've kept my handguns in their hard cases stacked on top of each other. Some are polymer, some are metal, etc. Question is -will the weight of stacking them in their case cause any damage? I assume no?

Thanks for the advice.

No, they will not be damaged by stacking, but depending on the guns and the kind of finish they have and the kind of material is inside the gun cases... the finish can be attacked by moisture.

Soft foam attracts moisture and then a closed case (further closed off inside a safe) can subject the handgun to moisture and finish damage.

Get some racks.

The moisture issue has a lot to do with house or location.

I live in the very humid south...I keep the majority of my guns in mostly foam cases, inside the safe. This has been my practice for many years, never had a single issue with moisture...and I have no humidity control in the safe, at all.

I have seen posts where guys said theirs would rust...so, I would try it and just keep a check for a little while to make sure it doesn't occur.

Thanks Seven and shootniron, I live in the northeast, so humidity isn't that big an issue. I also keep a can of "crystal dehumidifier" in the safe so I think that should be covered. I was more concerned with the pressure from stacking the cases.

Thanks again!

I too keep my guns in cases without noticeable harm over many years. I take two precautions however. One, I use desiccant inside the safe and two, I use Eezox which is a good rust inhibitor. Just to be sure. Thousands of dollars in investment deserves a few dollars of care and prevention.

I keep pistols in hard cases, too.
Wrapped in silicone soaked cloths.
Nothing fancy, just home made using silicone spray from the hardware store.
Allowing a little time for the propellant to evaporate, though.
After a generous wipe down with oil.
Been doing it this way for decades without harm.
This works for long guns as well, in soft cases.

The plastic case would have to shatter under the weight before the gun would be harmed.

You could probably stack them 100 feet high and be OK.

Like others have said moisture is a much more likely problem. I don't know what kind of crystal dehumidifier you're using but they need to be re-charged or replaced once the crystals absorb their limit.

Just because the safe is dry doesn't mean the guns can't be harmed. If your out shooting on a humid day and put the gun back in its case all that humidity in the air will be trapped in your case.

^right there, that's where you get the moisture, when you take the case out on a range day and then bring it back and put it in the safe.

When I first got my safe, I initially kept mine in their boxes stacked up as well until I was able to get a some guns racks.

Wipe metal surfaces with a Rig Rag (actually piece of sheepskin) and you can forget most rust attacks. Check weapons often no matter how well you prepare them and their environment.

Also, you can save those silica packets that come in various things and put those in the cases and in the safe to help absorb moisture. We have a bag of them and used them to save a buddy's cell phone he dropped in a puddle of water in the back yard of my house.

Where moisture is present, and your intent of stacking for storage, make sure you have removed all moisture from the surfaces before applying oil...oil rises above moisture!! Use a water-emulsifier treatment before storage. Ballistol emulsifies moisture and lubricates. Silica packets will help remove some moisture in an enclosed area. Keep your safe in an "air conditioned" environment rather than in an un-air conditioned outdoors environment. Since your firearms are precious to you, check on them occasionally with gloves so as not to introduce salty sweat on the metal surfaces. Oil the barrel generously before storing for a long time. Be sure to dry and remove all oil in the chamber and bore before firing it after a long stay in your safe. Just a few tips to preserve your firearms for future generations!!

oiling the guns with ballistol and using the dessicants is something I use; and as for checking them- yes, that gives me the chance to take them out and fondle them! And yes, I wipe them down each time.

Another little tip I learned... real cigar boxes. Not cardboard, the wood ones.

You can get them cheap at cigar shops, the one near my house sells old boxes for $2 apiece. They are nicely made, and the right size for a pistol.

Initially there was concern that the boxes might keep humidity in, but I asked a couple of wood workers; there's a reason they use humidifiers inside those boxes for cigars. The wood will otherwise dry out, and suck up all the humidity in the air. this doesn't make them a moist sponge, it will dry the air out to much below the surrounding air... it's basically a tiny cedar chest.

Let the boxes dry out inside the house for a couple of days with the lid open, and then put a pistol inside.

Stacked Won't Hurt

Stacking guns in cases won't hurt but something about inclosed spaces attracts moisture. I live in a very humid place and have learned a little along the way you might want to invest a small amount of money in a heater type device like a golden rod or even a small light bulb. Elevating the tempature in the safe even a small amount will reduce the humidity and the rust and corrosion that comes with it. Moisture seeks out the areas of lowest energy by raising the temp even a small amount in your safe will keep out moisture that comes with temperatures changing in your house
bb

Stacking guns in cases won't hurt but something about inclosed spaces attracts moisture. I live in a very humid place and have learned a little along the way you might want to invest a small amount of money in a heater type device like a golden rod or even a small light bulb. Elevating the tempature in the safe even a small amount will reduce the humidity and the rust and corrosion that comes with it. Moisture seeks out the areas of lowest energy by raising the temp even a small amount in your safe will keep out moisture that comes with temperatures changing in your house
bb

This really has to be evaluated on an individual basis.

As I posted earlier...I have always kept guns in cases, in my safes. I have lived in 3 different houses in the last 33yrs...never used ANY moisture control and never had a single issue with moisture...and I live in VERY humid, south GA.

My safe is in a temperature controlled room and it maintains a low humidity. That said I use these little racks for all my handguns.

Colts.png

I have two upper shelves with several of these racks and for me it works out great. All of the gun boxes, cases and packaging I have are not kept in my safe. The racks can easily run two deep if needed.

Ron

Back