SS vs. Crome barrel on AR15

arizona

Inactive
I am reading the July issue of American Rifleman in my home office, the bathroom, and came accross the article "The Making of a Match Rifle."(pg 42 cont. pg 65-67) The AR15 is my favorite weapon so I had to read on. On page 66 there is a refrence to crome lined barrel's and the fact that they last longer than stainless steel barrel's. I thought it was the other way arround. Can someone on the know please shed some light on the truthfulness of this claim.
I am also interested in the twist having some effect on the life of the barrel. My understanding is a 1/7 twist barrel's ware out faster than 1/9 to 1/12.
Thanks for the assistance in advance,
Arizona
PS.New email address-brittans@hotmail.com

the chrome lined bore is a compromise
it is less accurate than a competion grade barrel but Chrome lined bores resist harsh environments, corrosive ammo and infrequent cleaning cycles better

it is milspec

an infantry grade arm is designed for reliability. Tack driving is not as big of a part of the equation. Chrome lining will keep the rifle shooting on paper a few thousand rounds after the match chambered ss barrel has started drifting.

Due to variences in chromelining, the milspec barrel will tend be less accurate

dZ

Back