SR Jeffrey & Sons shotguns?

NonServiam

Might I bother you once more? I'm also looking at another shotgun, made by "SR Jeffrey & Sons", London, ca. 1885. Early hammerless boxlock SxS. Any info on the maker? I know they made some fine rifles, but they evidently gave up shotguns after a dispute with Webley&Scott. Any more info? Going prices for used but otherwise nice specimens?

Thanks!

(The magical year 1885 is when rifle and shotgun models made before this is not subject to registration in Norway. I therefore would prefer my old shotgun _very_ old :) Nasty business, registration. Would not recommend it to any country.)

The real Jeffery is spelled the way I put it in this sentence. Lots of cheap guns were marked with famous sounding names just usually misspelled a bit.

Beware of fakes! :eek:

You will also likely have damascus (twist) barrels, a combination of iron and steel, not recommended for modern loads. The chambers are likely shorter than the modern 2 3/4" also. Good luck!

Thanks for the warning! I know the maker is not WJ Jeffery & Co, but according to the seller this "Jeffrey" was reputable maker. Haven't found anything on the net, and if you guys haven't heard of him either, I might just be scammed :) Any info is appreciated!

BigG beat me to it re the name problem.

A proper one could be worth upwards of 500 bucks while a knock-off could be a thirty dollar wall hanger.

Be ye very wary.

Sam

As was previously stated there are several Jeffery Shotguns. From SXS's of the World, by Charles Carder I was able to dig up these.

HJN

Thank you so much! Would have been very embarrassing to buy crap for the price of gold. I'm very eager to see what the seller has to say :)

WJ Jeffery was five years old when he designed his shotgun action, according to the info Harley posted.

Also, SR Jeffery did not make guns much before 1900 according to the same info.

Well, it wasn't W.J. Jeffery. Engraved on top is, "S.R.Jeffery & Son. 137 High St. Guilford". Fits with the other Jeffery then. Seller is asking $625. I have no idea whether it's worth that much, since all I can dig up on the net are W.J. Jefferys for sale. I'll probably pass, then ... Shame, I thought a was getting a "best" gun at last :p

Back