SQUUUEEEZZZE play!

armoredman

So, the thread title is me wondering if it would work to squeeze a .311 bullet down to .309 to work in a .308 rifle? Since I routinely squeezed a .312 to .311 for 7.62x39mm, I think it would be just fine, but I've never loaded ,.308 before, not sure if that would be too finicky for the round? The Lee 160gr mold, BTW - .309 molds are sold out everywhere.

Makes me wonder - could I squeeze those 129gr .314 bullets down to .309? I am sure it would be a push to get them through the sizer...they are such excellent bullets, hate to see that NOE mold languish since I don't load 7.62x39mm anymore...

So, the thread title is me wondering if it would work to squeeze a .311 bullet down to .309 to work in a .308 rifle? Since I routinely squeezed a .312 to .311 for 7.62x39mm, I think it would be just fine, but I've never loaded ,.308 before, not sure if that would be too finicky for the round? The Lee 160gr mold, BTW - .309 molds are sold out everywhere.
It as I remember, been a cast lead bullet axiom that one will find the best accuracy between bore size to .003 over. Therefore, if your interest is in accuracy rather than velocity, you may want to start with the suggested starting load and test to see if can get the accuracy you are looking for without sizing the bullet down at all.

Between posting this and your reply, I saw a post on castboolits where a gent was using .311 size cast bullets to great success in a Springfield M1A, so I might just start there. Especially since I already have the .311 sizer. :p:cool: I also sized the NOE 129gr .314 bullets down to .311 with no issue.

If the .311" dia. bullet will chamber use it, I only have one 30 cal, rifle with a .308" dia. bore that want chamber a .311" cast bullet.

Back