Squirrel Rifle Scopes

Puddle Pirate

I recently bought a Ruger 10/22 for squirrel hunting, and am thinking of putting a low cost scope on it. It seems that Tasco and Simmons have that area of the market cornered. I realize that you get what you pay for in a scope, but I think a sub-MOA squirrel rifle is getting just a bit excessive.

Since I work 3rd shift, the sun is normaly well up before I get into the field, so light gathering capalbilities are not really a factor. The season doesn't start until Aug, but I want to get the combo worked out so I can get it sighted in and get comfortable with it.

Thanks,
Eric

------------------
Teach a kid to shoot. It annoys the antis.

I have a Redfield 4X32 fixed, it cost me $25 at a local gunshop, and I have a hard time missing with it. Kinda powerfull for popping squirrels, but it works nicely when the monster granddad squirrel taunts you from 75 yards ;)

------------------
I thought I'd seen it all, until a 22WMR spun a bunny 2 1/4 times in the air!

Try Natchez shooters supply (I think they are at www.natchezss.com) for great deals on some of the cheaper scopes.

In the last couple of months I've installed two Tasco 3-9x32 matte black .22 scopes (about $39.00 each) on Marlin Papooses, and two Bushnell 3-9x32 silver scopes on stainless 10/22's (about the same price, from the same source.) So you can take your pick on 'color'/finish, whatever matches.

They also are running some great specials on Tasco 'Mag-IV' scopes this month, but you'll have to order before March 31...

They also have good prices on Millett .22 rings, which for the money can't be beat (about 18.00/pr and all-steel, gorgeously machined, quality).

Hope this helps, weegee.

[This message has been edited by weegee (edited March 24, 2000).]

731500.jpg

When hunting tree rats high magnification is not required because most shots will be taken at under 65yds. What's needed is a scope with good field-of-view because squirrels move around a lot. Since FOV is directly related to magnification anything over 6x is more of a hindrance than a help. A fixed 4x is not a bad choice. Weaver makes a 4x32, nice glass at $116 from Northeast Shooters Warehouse (800-639-7012).

IMO for squirrel hunting one of the best scopes to team up with a 10/22 is a Bushnell Trophy 1.5-5x32. Eagle Optics has'em for $138. These scopes are made in Japan (some of the Trophy scopes aren't) and the optics are excellent and the scope itself is very robust. I have three: one on a 10/22, one on a Knight Mk-85 blackpowder rifle, and one on an AR. I've hunted them hard for years and they've never let me down. -- Kernel

[This message has been edited by Kernel (edited March 25, 2000).]

I have a Simmons Deerfield 3x9x32 I bought from WalMart about 10 years ago that sat on my 10/22 for a while. I paid about $40 for it then. It is a good little scope. Nothing fancy and is perfect on a squirrel gun. It is back in the box now collecting dust since I put a Leupold on the 10/22.

Squirrel hunting constitutes my humble
effort at precision shooting. So I
limit myself to shots thirty yards or
longer. Head shots only.
I use a Leupold 4X on an old Anshutz
model 54.

I also have a squirrel cat. When I hunt
in the woods around my place, within
fifteen or so minutes I'll hear something
approacing. It is my white long-haired
cat names Baby". She lets me partially
cover her with whatever camo I have, sits
there patiently, then follows me to the
first squirrel I shoot.
We split the first one. She gets the
squirrel, I get the tail. She takes it
home and lets me hunt alone from then on.
Babys been my partner for three years.

A "Squirrel Cat"!? That's a new one. Sport, maybe you should encourage that white cat to hang around. I bet all the squirrels in the timber would start squawkin' and barking at the cat and won't even notice you.

Our cats follow us around whenever we shoot english sparrows. We'll go out a night, maybe twice a summer, use a spotlight and pellet rifle, and shot'em right out of the trees. The barn cats feast! -- Kernel

Back