squirrel hunting

Roland Thunder

I have a squirrel problem in my yard and am thinking of getting a long gun of some type, like a .22, pellet gun etc. to eradicate them. I don't live in the city limits but I do live in a subdivision so noise could be a problem so I need something that would not be too loud or something to supress the noise.

I would be shooting at squirrels on the ground and not in trees since there are houses nearby (not to close)

.22 rifle and use CCI CB .22short rounds.

You still get around 800fps muzzle velocity with a lighter bullet but there's very little sound. The only concern I have is ricochet. If you're shooting at targets on the ground and you're in a subdivision you run the risk of missing your target and having the bullet ricochet off the dirt into a neighbor's shed, garage and even house. This problem will be present with any caliber unless you're shooting from a fairly elevated position like say a 2nd story window or your roof.

That's about the cheapest way I can think of for a low noise solution. You COULD get yourself a .22 rifle and shoot HV .22lr rounds through a can but that'll run you a lot more money.

Will you do it during the squirrel season? Be sure you don't get in trouble with the game dept.
Considering your location I would think a pellet gun would be the best, but I have not had personal experience with such.
Jerry

Roger Dat, I used to have a squirrel problem now my drinking team has a funny little squirrel shootin problem....:D only kiddin!! My son picked up the Gammo "Big Cat", and he shoots those magnum .177 caliber pellets from Crossman, I believe.
He also put some sort of Airgun Scope on it, he headshoots them at 70 to 80 feet, and it's not real loud.:)
No squirrel problem.;)

As mentioned, since the .22 is noted as being notorious for ricochet's and can travel distances of a mile, my advice would be a pellet rifle along with traps such as a 'Hav-a-Heart' Trap.

A small stone, piece of metal, glass etc. laying unseen in the grass could create a very bad situation with a .22 in a neighborhood.

Will you do it during the squirrel season? Be sure you don't get in trouble with the game dept.

If you're a land owner (even if you only own a 1oth of an acre) and have a pest problem you are free to shoot them in WI even without a small game license. I'm not sure about GA though.

Per our state's small game regulations:

The owner or occupant of any land and members of their family* may, without a license and subject to all other restrictions except seasons, hunt or trap on their own property for beaver, fox, coyote, raccoon, woodchuck, rabbit, and squirrel year-round and may sell the skins of these species (except for woodchucks)

I neglected to mention a pellet rifle because I've had problems with pellets NOT killing squirrels in the past unless you get a head shot. Even compared to the bullet in a CCI CB .22short at 800fps a .177 cal pellet at 1000fps (and that's not even a constant true fps that's just what the rifle is capable of but not always at) is awfully light. I've watched a lead .177 cal pellet bounce off a squirrel's side that my son shot at about 30 yards because it was raiding our bird feeders. Sure it scared it off but I'm not so sure I head shot a different squirrel the very next day. The head shot killed it. Body shot didn't. Even with a .22short a body shot will kill a squirrel.

I've got an old 5mm Sheridon pellet gun. Pumped 8 times I recall its not much slower than a .22 short. It will kill a squirrel with a body shot at 50+ feet with no problem. (And it is consistent and accurate enough that I don't miss.) But with the weight and shape, richote danger is very minimal to nonexistent. I wouldn't fire any .22 in a residential area. I don't know if they are still made our not, but it might be worth checking.

Andrew

Sent from my RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Use a .22 Short. Cook over night in chicken broth with a quarter of an onion. Serve over rice or finish in the pot with dumplings. Squirrels are not a problem they are a delicacy.

The pelletgun will do the trick just fine. I have a Stoeger .177 that I have killed squirrels out to 50 yrds with head shots. As an earlier poster stated, body shots are iffy at best though. What I have found with the body shots you need to be 20 to 25 yards to drop them DRT with a chest shot. I shot one thru both lungs and the critter ran like nothing was wrong. He went up a tree then ran thru 2 more trees before giving up. .22 pellet rifles are about the same as a .177 IMO. On a side note. My Air rifle is advertised at 1200 fps. Thats with alloy pellets. Forget about using them. They are as load as a standard .22. They also do not perform as good as the lead pellets that travel slower ( around 900 fps) in the same rifle. I did a simple test with mine. I filled 2 16 oz aluminum beer bottle and 2 16 oz coke bottle with water and put the tops back on them. Shot both with a cheap crossman hollow point lead pellet and also with the expensive alloy pellets. At 20 yards the lead pellets opened up both like a 22 would. The alloy went thru the alluminum bottle but half the damage of the lead and did not go thru the plastic bottle.

Body shots with CB shorts are iffy also. But a Bearcat with CBs in it is a terror to squirrels and surprisingly quiet.

I'm confused. I was talking about shooting a CB short out of a single shot break action rifle to take squirrels. With that set-up you get good muzzle velocity and I can attest to the round being VERY quiet and deadly to squirrels.

If you're saying body shots with CB shorts are iffy but a Ruger Bearcat with CBs is effective then I'm completely confused. Isn't a Bearcat a revolver with a 6" barrel? Wouldn't that be less effective and louder than me shooting a CB out of a rifle with an 18" barrel?

If you are in a subdivision, it is NOT WORTH THE RISK of damaging property, injuring someone, or obviously God Forbid killing someone with any kind of projectile, if you can help it.

If legal, I say get yourself a couple of 110 conibear traps, stick em in places cats won't get to, cover from top so birds won't see the bait, and bait with bread or peanuts or anything else that squirrels love.

Heck, even rat traps will work on squirrels. But you run more risk of killing birds with them because they are smaller.

Safe, effective, works round the clock, and no risk to people or their property (which in turn keeps you out of prison and not bankrupt).

Ok, let me rephrase. CBs are iffy with body shots for me out of my Bearcat. So head shots are in order or perhaps shoulder shots. Bearcats are 4" barrels so yes they will be louder than similar ammo from a longer barrel.

But I shot my Bearcat so much that I'm pert good at head shots. SO I'm a terror for them and have collected quite a few with CBs. CBs are also good for the kids so they can shoot the pistols without all the muzzle blast from the short barrels on pistols shooting 22 LRs.

Shortwave said: Trapping is the best way. I agree. A Hav-a-Heart cage trap won't hurt someone by accident. Maybe your neighbors wont call the local Game Wardens Tip line. The plus side if anyone asks you can say in all honesty: I always release those troublesome squirrels in a park or woods to live out there lives. Easier on your conscience doing it that way. No harm no foul. Shooting can sour your neighbors. Get you a court fine. And in some States there is a ticket for wild game replacement cost that can be issued too. Just be careful if you still intend to shoot.

Use the air rifle - works well, things downrange are not as much as a problem

as for cooking, no thanks........the crows appreciate them though

CCI also makes a round called Quiet 22. Its a 40 grain bullet that fires at 710 fps. 68db is advertised. I have used them and they make about the same report as the air rifle. Maybe a little quieter. My daughter shat a rabbit with one. Killed the rabbit but didnt go all the way thru. Kinda good and bad in that aspect.

The 1,000 fps pellet rifles are quite loud unless they have the integral suppressor...

YOU CANNOT PUT A HOMEMADE SILENCER ON A PELLET RIFLE WITHOUT THE NFA STAMP AS IT CAN BE USED ON A POWDER POWERED RIFLE TOO!!!

But the noise is more of a loud BOINK rather than a "rifle crack" type report... My neighbors ever suspected a thing...

Brent

Back