Squirrel hunting

Wingbone

HI guys,
I've hunted squirrel's in upstate NY with a scoped .22 and enjoyed it alot. Here in Suffolk County I'm limited to a shotgun. Here's my question, which one? I have several 12's with different actions and chokes,(will there be
anything left after a shot with a 12?), I have a .410 with a full choke and a .20 ga with imp. cyl. So, any advice from the shotgun/squirrel guru's? If it matters the .410 and .20 are bolt action mossbergs. Thanks,
Ken

Air Rifle

If you interested in saving the meat, can you use an air rifle to hunt with? A .177 caliber pellet moving at 1000 fps will do a squirrel or rabbit. :) I try to stay away from shotguns for squirrel because I do not like bitting a piece of shot while eating. ;)

I'd probably start with the 410 and try to get the squirrels to peek around a limb or something if I could. It would be hard to make the change for me, too, because nothing works better than the old .22 for squirrels. But, if you have to, you have to! My Grandpa had to use his 12 gauge after his eyes got so he couldn't see the sights on his Steven's Crack Shot .22. (Rarely saw a scope in the 50's, no money for that stuff anyway) Sometimes you would bite down on a pellet but you WERE having squirrel!

Steve

410 or 12ga don't matter

410 would be more fun!I have shot them with a 12ga. and it won't hurt the meat if your at 30 yards or so.Use 7 1/2 with 12ga.Or 6 shot with the 410.The 410 is perfect for little varmits.

410, except for one thing, seems that 410 shells are more expensive than 12 or 20ga these days, so if cost is a factor..... Any of the three will work fine, but I use the 410 myself.

I use a 12 with #4 shot no problem with blowing it away. The most challenging way to hunt them is to use a 22 pistol .

I have been hunting squirrels for a while and a 12 gauge with a #6 shot has never hurt any meat of mine o well I take that back the ones that are like 10 to 15 yards but that takes the challenge away from it there is nothing wrong with a 12 gauge to hunt squirrel:D :D :D

12 gauge improved cylinder 7 1/2 shot, works fine and no complaints from the wife about destroyed meat.
Have fun!:)

I use a 12 Guage with 3 inch, #6 shot

I knock out from way up in the trees. I use a Winchester shell that they dont make anymore. I can't remember but I think it was Double X. Everything now is "Super". Those old ones though we bought several cases of before they quit making them. Been so long since I hunted squirrel, I'll have to go back and look at the case.

Started when I was a boy using a Savage single shot .410. I killed many a squirrel with that shotgun. Later moved up to a Winchester 20 GA. pump. I have used a .22 rifle and that seemed to be more fun. I guess I have lost interest in squirrel hunting. I have not went squirrel hunting in 20 years. I am slipping bad.......When I was a teenager I couldn't wait til squirrel season opened in October.

I have been shooting squirrels for years with a high powered pellet gun (73 of the evil fuzzballs are in the great acorn place in the sky). I just bought a .22 so I will be going with that now. As for a shotgun, I've only shot at one squirrel when it was 150 yards off(I didn't know better back then).

I have an over surplus of old 30-30 ammo. So I take my Winchester lever action out in search of the little buggers. I do not eat them, I just have so much fun hunting them. It is very good practice too!

cat squirrels, or fox squirrels?

If they are cat squirrels, (grey squirrels) then a 16 gauge, full choke shooting number 6 shot with high velocity loads is the ticket.

Pellet guns are okay on Fox squirrels (Red squirrels) that will sit still and bark at you, while you are aiming at them with a .22 or a pellet gun, but Cat Squirrels will usually run across the treetop canopy as soon as they know you are there, and hide quickly, so they are harder to kill with a rifl or a pellet gun than a Fox Squirrel is.

I've always had excellent luck with my model 12 Winchester 28 inch barrel, .16gauge loaded with no. 6 shot. It will shoot through some of the small branches, etc. that cat squirrels will hide behind, and it sure brings em down.

As far as the shot being a problem when you are eating the meat, the shot usually isn't a big problem if you check for it when you are cleaning your squirrels, and it usually is right on the top of the meat.

Anyway, hope this helps some.

Back