Squirrel Hunting with an Air Rifle

MP-44

I forgot how much fun squirrel hunting was. I have been hitting the hardwoods with my AirArms S400E Xtra Fac in .177 cal. and its been a blast.

The rifle fires a normal weight pellet @ around 1100 fps and the heavy weights(10.5 CPH, which I use) @ nearly 1000fps. The accuracy is just unbelievable. At 50 yds from a bench it will almost drive tacks. And the lack of recoil, unlike the spring pistons, make it a joy to shoot in the different positions encountered in hunting situations.

Is there any other airarm small game hunters out there?

I shoot my air guns almost daily.
Career .22,long gun
RWS 48/.20
TX200 .177

You have to experience the joy of shooting quality air guns to appreciate them.

I enjoy shooting my scoped pump air rifle, I have shot Squirrels for many years since I was a kid, me and my father use to have a ball hunting those little critters, we would work as a team, the good old days;) last year I shot 31 of them believe it or not, I live on the backside of a farm in NH and there is a tree line that runs the perimeter and is loaded with squirrels, I for the most part take them out with one shot to the head with a 177 cal 1000fps, this year I have shot 7 so far, if you don't cut down there populations they start moving into your attic and sheds etc... I just sit out in my back yard at sunrise or sunset to get them, I have made some long shots at times, this keeps me tuned for the big guns and keeps the flinch away also, teaches you to breath properly and squeeze off right, when the cats in the neighborhood see me out in the back yard they come right over, once in a while I give them a squirrel its funny how they hang around me when I am gunning those tree rats;). not bad chewing either.
Aim small hit small. RAMbo.:D

Have an RWS 54 in .177 and scoped. Very accurate out to about 30 yds. Don't have tree rats here, but plenty of grackles and starlings. Sorta have them educated not to fly into my backyard trees!

Beeman R7 used for starlings and pigeons. Haven't tried squirrels yet; I typically use a .22 for those, but would like to give the R7 a try. NOT a magnum air rifle by any means, but it serves the purpose(s) for which I bought it: quiet backyard practice, pigeons inside barns (don't have to worry about penetrating the roof), etc.

Back