Squirrel Dog Training

So, I have a 16 pound dog, (mutt), who has a very high prey drive.

I'd like to work with her on flushing squirrels.

My thoughts on how to go about this so far are to make a flirt pole, and have the "reward" be a musk drowned squirrel tail. I'd use this as not only a flirt pole, but also as a drag.

Are there any other ideas on how to hone her skills and drive for specifically squirrels?

Roo2_zps4c158b16.jpg

ROO_zps7ca780ed.jpg

This is Kangaroo, Roo, Rootard, Jacka**, and Derp Dog. She goes by, and answers to, many names.

I just kept taking him along. About the first time you drop one, and let him find it he will figure out what you are looking for out there. he will soon actively be sniffing and looking for squirrles and keep getting better at it.

Attachments

• squirrel hunt 011.JPG
    squirrel hunt 011.JPG
    167.3 KB · Views: 37
The squirrel tale helps alot and take the dog squirrel hunting talk to him and get excited while shooting one out for him . This is how I trained the best tree dog I have ever saw . If he said ther was something up a tree there was . He was 1/2 collie 1/2 Moutain Cur . I have a Red Bone Hound now that is a good tree dog but she will take off and reek havoc with bicycle riders and motorcycles . Other good squirel dogs I have seen are mix breeds and some terrier crosses that look like your dog . I even knew of a Pit Bull that would tree squirells but would also search out and kill every skunk that he could . Not fun when he would bring the skunk to you to show off what he found .

About the first time you drop one, and let him find it he will figure out what you are looking for out there.
I tried that with a dog of mine once.

No sooner had the squirrel hit the ground, the dog grabbed it and ran back to the house to bury it in the yard.

He dug it up a week or so later, after it had "aged" well enough to suit him.

He was much better at tracking a blood trail than hunting squirrels

I would often take my beagle with me squirrel hunting. She would sometimes find some, but more often than not she would find something that I wasn't looking for such as rabbits, rats, ground hogs etc.

Back