Squaring off a round butt.

Hutch

I picked up a pre-agreement 625 with a set of Pachmayrs on it, and I assumed it would have a square-butt grip frame. WRONNNNNNNNG. I really wanted to put a nice set of factory target grips on it (that I took of my 4" M29). Did Smif make a set of wood grips that would give me a square-butt grip? I really like the stock target grips on guns with manageable recoil.

Actually, you can take a set of square butt grips and just slap them on. They might fit and work well without any slop at all.

If, however, there is some slop, you can use Accraglass, bondo, epoxy, etc., to fill in some of the void and fit the grips to the gun. Just be sure to use a good mold release if you do that.

Grips available.

What Mike said bout makin the grips of your choice fit.

Pull a rubber over the grip frame insures that your bondo, accuglass or whatever doesn't make em permanent. (non lubed)

Sam

Works.
Made a whole grip for a Walther with a Bondo kit and a rubber. Couple hours in a Motel room the night before a match. Worked like a champ.

Learned it from another shooter.

Sam

I appreciate the replies. I put the SB grips on, and they mate up okay, but there's the area where the backstrap dives in, leaving a gap, most unsightly. I guess I'll look at Herret and Hogue. Sigh.

Hutch, that's the big problem with retrofitting the square butt grips to a round butt, you get that "dive."

That's when bondo comes into play.

Come to think of it, be VERY careful about what products you use if you decide to use Sam's condom method.

Some of the products may attack the latex, eat through it, and still bond to what you don't want it to.

I've got a Hogue set of round to square almost blond N frame smooth grips. They are new. Any interest for $40? Email me.

Hutch,
To answer your original question, yes S&W make round-to-square butt grips. Since ALL new S&W revolvers now have a round butt, they use a grip that looks just like the older square butt models. The do not have the gap at the rear, and fit well.
You can buy S&W's from Brownell's and S&W direct, among other's.

C.R.Sam said 'not lubed'. Wouldnt the lube probably keep the bondo from bonding to the frame?
But what do I know compared to all these old guys???
';) ;)

Shouldn't talk of lubes and rubbers

be kept separate from any and all discussion of guns? I mean, this just plays right into the Freudian theory held by many antis...:eek: :D

Back