Spyderco Delica or Cold Steel Medium Voyager?

Dogger

Seems like both are great knives. I suppose you will tell me to get both. :) I plan on getting the non-serrated edged blade.

Which one should I get first and why? Thanks.

[This message has been edited by Dogger (edited June 12, 2000).]

It depends on which one you like better, but for my money, Spyderco is the one of the two mentioned.
With Spyderco, you don't get the BS hype that you get from Cold Steel, Lynn Thompson's chest beating or unrealistic videos. What you get is a good user knife at a good price.
I personally prefer the Spyderco hole as opposed to the thumb stud on the Cold Steel, but that is just my preference. I have not carried a Spyderco in some time, since I got my Commander. If you really need some convincing, go to www.Bladeforums.com and ask around in the Spyderco section. Sal Glesser and the other members are very helpful.

Yes, I also recommend to follow the Phillip's link. Off hand, however, there are two obvious differences between the two. First is the size. The Voyager is larger than the Delica, and how that factors in is up to your preference. Also, the serrations are different. The Voyager has a Ginsu-styled alternating serration that can't be sharpened. The entire blade has to be sharpened like a plain-edge. And once the serrations are gone, it's gone. Spyderco's serrations are larger and can be sharpened. To side-step a rather controversial issue, I really can't say which serration style is better. In my personal experience, both have been proven performers and ultimately makes no real world difference which you take. In my personal opinion though, if it has to be serrated, I prefer ones where I can sharpen the teeth. But that's just me.

[This message has been edited by SB (edited June 12, 2000).]

Given the choice, I'd forego either and get an Emerson Commander with the Dragon's Teeth serrations. One inch of serrations is plenty good for getting a cut started and the shape of the blade, reminiscent of the Kukri, is excellent for applying force all the way through a cut.

As for quality, I don't think you can beat the Commander and I love mine.

------------------
When Reason Fails.....

As an alternative, check out Columbia River's knives (CRKT Co). Good values in all-metal knives.

I did fondle two Microtechs, two of their "Masters of Defense" series. One is a Tim Janich model, and the other by "Patches" Watson, the legendary SEAL. Ohhhh, that Watson is a sweet utility/fighter. Can i bear the part with $200 (it's a numbered, hand-finished one).

Commander and Vaquero Grande?
Come on guys - at least suggest knives in the same class or price range...

The Spyderco is the better knive in this case.
Other Spydercos to consider:
Standard Model
Native
Wegner Jr.

Benchmade's Mini AFCK is also very very good and one of my favorites.

Back