Spruced up my "Ranger Youth" Winnie

FiveInADime

I received my Winchester M70 "Ranger Youth" for Christmas the year I turned ten. It's a great gun. Basically an XTR Featherweight with sights in a plain hardwood stock.

It shoots good factory hunting ammo around an inch and it shot a few coyote loads I handload around 3/4" with 70gr Btips and 87gr Vmax.

I always envisioned snagging a Featherweight stock for it and the past few years I've been seeing uncheckered factory overruns from the USRAC days on the net for cheap. I snagged one from CDNN Sports for $60. Can't beat that! It's going to need some fitting and bedding but it's nice. CDNN was gracious enough to throw in a 1-piece bottom-metal to 2-piece spacer. It works ok, but someday I may pony-up for a 1-piece bottom metal.

Before:
1aa72be4d45dbacc91f77fa21a074072.jpg

After:
4cd3dca93ae9cbb23696cef6b0f31842.jpg

I did the same thing with my Youth Ranger .223 almost two years ago now. Made a huge difference! Nice looking rifle.

I did the same thing with my Youth Ranger .223 almost two years ago now. Made a huge difference! Nice looking rifle.
I know! I remember the thread. I'm pretty sure I commented on it too. Probably not a ton of the "Ranger Youth" M70s out there. Mine's a .243 Win, btw.

Now I have to decide whether to keep this one or give it to my son in 3 years [emoji33]. I may buy him another rifle for his first deer rifle and give him the .243 Win later in life.

Did you buy a 1-piece bottom-metal for your .223? I don't particularly care for the plastic spacer solution for the 2-piece.

Did you bed yours into your stock? Mine definitely needs bedding and the action rocks a bit in the stock so I need to figure out where and relieve it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

My stock is for the old 2 piece bottom metal, so I didn't need the plastic adapter. I haven't bedded mine, it fits well enough and shoots as good as I need it to right now. You did comment on my thread as well.

Back