Springs

Skeets

Member in memoriam
Glock&Smith&Wesson:Change Internal Springs?Factory says No,whats TFL say? All answers appreciated

Properly designed and manufactured springs should not "get weak."
Springs should be changed when they are rusted, burned, or broken-unless the manufacturer specifies otherwise.

Recoil springs aside, most of the others should last a pretty long time. The more you shoot/use the gun though, the more stuff is going to wear out.

If its used for fun and/or practice, fix it when it breaks. If its for something serious, springs are cheap, replace them when you feel comfortable.

I have been seriously using, carrying, repairing and customizing guns for over 40 years. I have had to replace maybe 2 recoil springs in that time period. One was badly rusted, and the other was in a fire.
Changing springs out is a recent phenomenon that is usually unnecessary unless you are a competition shooter.

I shoot a lot, and regularly change the RSA's out of my Glocks that get shot regularly. I believe they recommend it be done ever 5000 rounds or so, but I just do it twice a year. They are cheap enough, so why not?

I recently had a trigger spring break in my one 17, at around 90,000 rounds. I think I got my three dollars worth out of it. :D

Some SIG's have trigger spring issues as well, but gain, its usually with those guns that get used a good bit.

Fix your space bar.
Changing internal springs depends on what spring you think needs changing and why. Trigger springs get changed to fix the crappy factory triggers regularly. Said triggers are crappy due to frivolous law suits and the cost of producing good triggers.
The factory says no for liability reasons.
"...the other was in a fire..." A fire hot enough for long enough to take the temper out of a spring also took the temper out of the rest of the firearm.

I will change the recoil springs out on a used gun when I first get it, I dont know how many rounds are through the gun and it is an easy and cheap swap. I usually dont change them after that until a problem comes up unless its a 3"1911, thoes are suggested to be changed every 2000 rounds or so. As for the internal springs I usually leave them alone on a semi and will sometimes change them out on a revolver to tune the auction to my liking. YMMV

I didn't say it was burned up.
The gun was a Keltec P11 that someone hid in an oven, and later preheated the oven for a pizza. 2 or 3 rounds in the mag cooked off. The gun itself was fine, but the heat softened the grip frame and when the rounds cooked off the grip opened like a flower. I ordered a new grip and all new springs. My daughter carries the gun to this day.

Back in the 70s when I was doing small arms repair for Uncle Sam, the 1911A1 recoil spring had a spec'ed length in the manual. Shorter than that, it was replaced. The firing pin spring had to be longer than the firing pin. if not, it was replaced.

All other springs I recall, (all guns) were (absent visible defects, kinks, rust, etc.) function or replace. If it passed function check it was good. IF not, it was replaced.

If you want to replace springs before you need to replace springs, its usually cheap and easy.

Bill DeShivs said:
The gun was a Keltec P11 that someone hid in an oven, and later preheated the oven for a pizza. 2 or 3 rounds in the mag cooked off.
What about the one in the chamber? :eek:
That's what I call some HOT LEAD! :p

"The firing pin spring had to be longer than the firing pin. if not, it was replaced."

Sure about that?

Jim

"The firing pin spring had to be longer than the firing pin. if not, it was replaced."

I am sure, but I could have been more precise. Allow me to restate it..

When assembled on the firing pin, if the firing pin spring did not extend past the end of the firing pin, it was considered unserviceable, and replaced.

Back