Springfield's new SAR-8s

Andrew

Has anyone heard of Springfield's new SAR-8s with the forged aluminum instead of stamped steel recievers? They have an article about them in the new Guns and Weapons for Law Enforcement, but at SA's site they say they no longer make the SAR-8s. The new rifles in the magazine have the "california legal" SA muzzle breake in place of the flash supressor, so it looks like they'd be legal under the stupid "assault weapon" ban. What's the deal? Are these rifles going to be available to us peasants, and if so when?

Of the aluminum receiver HK-91 clones, Springfield probably made the best one. That's not saying much as there are better stamped receivers out there (FMP). Initially HK fans awaited it with much anticipation but when they saw the receiver, were turned off by it.

Personally, I'd go with some FN-FAL clone instead. Spare magazines are much cheaper too.

Just recently Special Weapons were making the SW3 again but with the imported stamped steel receiver from FMP. From what I understand they also used new parts kit. Probably the best HK91 clone copy since the early Springfield SAR8. Special Weapons only made this FMP SW3 for a short time though.

SW has gotten out of the SW3 (HK-91 clone) business for good, according to Todd Whateverhisnameis (runs/owns SW). They sold their last FMP receivered SW3 a few days ago.

Other than the ugly proportions of the aluminium Federal receiver, I haven't heard anything bad about them.

Check out www.hk91.com for more on the SW3/SW5(MP5)/SW45(MP5 .45acp), Hesse HK, and the Federal HK.

[This message has been edited by Destructo6 (edited April 21, 2000).]

Back