Springfield XDS mod 2 VS Glock 43 reliability

Josh17

Alright so I’ve been a Glock fanboy forever. I used to think Glocks are superior and more reliable (still somewhat believe the reliability part) and only owned Glocks..
Then I started to have limp wrist issues.. Randomly.. Guess I must be losing grip strength. So I figured I would finally try a couple of other handguns and see if they also had issues firing one handed. The shield and xds had zero issues in 200+ rounds when purposely trying to limp wrist them, while the Glock was constant. Why do I care? Because I read from multiple sources that in self defense situations most of the time you will be firing one handed and may not get the best grip.

So I bought a Shield and a xds in 9mm. Never thought that would ever happen. I’m so used to Glocks it’s kinda weird! But the xds mod 2 looks better IMO then the Glock 43 or 26, plus it has night sights already on it, plus it works reliably shooting one handed. I like it a lot more (dare I say) then the Glock but my old Glock fanboy voice is telling me it’s probably not as reliable.

So my question is... are they just as reliable as a Glock 43? Trying to compare single stacks to single stacks. I cannot find hardly any “torture tests” on the Springfield xds, but there are countless Glock videos. Was hoping MAC would have one but nope.
What I also mean is: my Glock I would leave in my trunk during winter so it would experience anything from the coldest point around -20 F to a “warm” temp of 40 to 50+ degrees F. I never worried about it having issues if I had to pick it up and shoot all the rounds, it would function 100% unless I fired it one handed then it limp wristed. So I had to go away from Glock.
But if I leave the Springfield xds or S&W Shield in the same cold, will I be able to pick them up and fire them just as well??

And can I “treat” the xds 9mm just as I would a Glock 43?
Like everyone says “it’s a glock. It’ll work fine”. Or “it’s a Glock so Getting it dirty won’t hurt it” does the same pretty much hold true for the xds and Shield?
Mainly the xds as I like it more.
Oh, and on my Glocks I used CLP (mainly due to the cold weather and heard the military uses it) and had no issues over the years.
So probably will stick with that for the XDS. I generally put a very light coating if it’s going to go through any extreme temps.

Last edited:
I had an XD Mod.2 subcompact for a year. Ran about 5k rounds and didn't clean it all that dutifully. Never had a malfunction. In many rounds I've also never experienced a malfunction in my Walther or CZ. I think most guns have high reliability.

Springfield is advertising a 25k round reliability test on the new XDS for whatever it may be worth. I for one never liked the G43 ergonomics. For me the Walther PPS ergonomics won handily. With the mod.2 now on the XDS it would be a much closer contest.

Alright so I’ve been a Glock fanboy forever. I used to think Glocks are superior and more reliable (still somewhat believe the reliability part) and only owned Glocks..
Then I started to have limp wrist issues.. Randomly.. Guess I must be losing grip strength. So I figured I would finally try a couple of other handguns and see if they also had issues firing one handed. The shield and xds had zero issues in 200+ rounds when purposely trying to limp wrist them, while the Glock was constant. Why do I care? Because I read from multiple sources that in self defense situations most of the time you will be firing one handed and may not get the best grip.

So I bought a Shield and a xds in 9mm. Never thought that would ever happen. I’m so used to Glocks it’s kinda weird! But the xds mod 2 looks better IMO then the Glock 43 or 26, plus it has night sights already on it, plus it works reliably shooting one handed. I like it a lot more (dare I say) then the Glock but my old Glock fanboy voice is telling me it’s probably not as reliable.

So my question is... are they just as reliable as a Glock 43?

Don't know. I will say I have had no functional problems whatsoever with my 9mm XDS. (This is the first model).

Trying to compare single stacks to single stacks. I cannot find hardly any “torture tests” on the Springfield xds,

I've seen Springfield ads for the Mod 2 XDS talk about 25K rounds through one without problems. (Probably to counter Internet hearsay about XD long term durability problems.)[/quote]

But if I leave the Springfield xds or S&W Shield in the same cold, will I be able to pick them up and fire them just as well??

Probably.

And can I “treat” the xds 9mm just as I would a Glock 43?

I would.

Oh, and on my Glocks I used CLP (mainly due to the cold weather and heard the military uses it) and had no issues over the years.
So probably will stick with that for the XDS. I generally put a very light coating if it’s going to go through any extreme temps.

The manual specifies lubrication points. I'd follow that.

XD Mod.2 subcompact

A very different gun from the XDS. The XDS is much more Glock like in the way it works.

If the major concern is function over temperature ranges that aren't completely out of the range of the ordinary, I think most major manufacturers should be okay (a caveat I'd give would be may attention to what lubrication you use and make sure it doesn't congeal, for lack of a better word, in the cold).

I have a XDs 45 acp which I carry in my weak hand front pocket; it works reliably one hand weak hand and doesn't throw brass at my head.

Back