Springfield vs S & W .45 ACP

fauxpa46

Anyone have experience with BOTH the XD-S Mod 2 .45 acp 3.3” as well as the S&W Shield .45? If so, please list your personal pros and cons of each as a comparison. Thank you.

I once owned a Springfield XD-S 45 w 4” barrel - I know this isn’t the pistol you are asking about but it is an earlier version of what you are asking about. I loved everything about the Springfield except it shot very low from point of aim. I seem to have this issue w fiber optic sighted pistols - that was a sell it issue for me. I replaced it with a Shield 45 - this shot point of aim, more grip to hold onto, and an extra round - liked the S&W Shield 45 better.

I know your asking for experience with both, but I'm hoping this may help. I have the S&W Performance Center Shield M&P45 M2.0 with 4" barrel. I can say it probably has the best trigger I have ever tried on a polymer gun and it's really accurate.

I’ve shot both. Reliability was the same, but the shield was more easier/comfortable to shoot. I like the original XDS over the mod 2 personally.

JustJake said:
A little-used S&W 645 beats 'em both.

Other than being a completely different platform, all metal instead of polymer, produced barely over 3 years, not as readily available replacement parts, less than average accuracy, bulkier, heavier, and the O.P. specifically stated the differences between the XD(s) Mod 2 and the Shield and no other firearms, the 645 might "beat them both" in whatever parameters you're imagining.

I have the Shield in all three calibers and am a big fan. I was amazed, when I first shot the 9mm as to how little perceived recoil there was. I was even more amazed, the first time I shot the 45. It's as though they had re-written the laws of physics.

Anyone have experience with BOTH the XD-S Mod 2 .45 acp 3.3” as well as the S&W Shield .45? If so, please list your personal pros and cons of each as a comparison. Thank you.
I've owned both the Shield 45 and Mod2 XD45 3.3 Subcompact (9 round). I've also shot 4-5 XDs 45s, though I can't recall if any of those were Mod 2.

None of them were what I'd call hard kickers, but I've shot hat-fulls of 44 mag & heavy 45 Colt through 4-5 inch revolvers. I can tell you I prefer the Shield to everything mentioned, and the subcompact 45 Glocks. The Shield provides a nice, flat carry profile with just enough grip to accommodate a grown man's hands.

It is also more accurate than it has any right to be, for its size. Five USA 230 FMJ at 50 yards, standing unsupported.

20190703_103036.jpg

Didn't have this specific XD, but in general over my time shooting I've always gravitated towards the Shield. Just feels much more comfortable to shoot

I really like my Shield 9mm, it is one of two pistols I use for EDC. Do the 45’s have the same thumb buster magazine loading that the 9’s do?

Back