Springfield V-16: How to Break It In??

ninenot

Thanks for helping!! My son purchased a brand-new Springfield v-16 (longslide, .45 ACP/.45 Super.) Over the next few weeks, he will be breaking it in. I know that any weapon needs a few hundred rounds' time to settle down. What's best method? Clean after every 5? 10? 50? rounds?? Then, for sighting purposes, should one assume that .45 Super and .45ACP fire about the same at a 50-yard target? Or does he need to sight in for both? We will both look for your comments. This is a large investment for him, and it's worth preserving for a long time. Thanks again.
Ninenot

Read the post in The Art of the Rifle called The wisdom of Gale McMillan
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=60102

Gale made a good point that the manufacturer should be providing the most accurate barrel right off the line. Any futher "break in" work from that point prolly just decreases the barrel life. The action may need breaking in by shooting a few hundred rounds but:
Shoot, clean, enjoy seems to be a wise path

HTH
dZ

Carefully disassemble and clean it before firing. Then shoot it. I clean and lube a new gun as soon as possible. It usually has some grit and filings in it from the manufacturing process.

If you have never taken apart a 1911 with a bull barrel,learn how. The lack of a barrel bushing makes this a little tricky. Do a search in this forum for V-16 and .45 Super. There is some good info.

I agree with dz regarding breaking in the barrel. Not a concern. If your shooting .45ACP to break it in, you may need to put a standard recoil spring in for the first 100 rounds. A standard recoil spring is 16 pounds. The factory recoil spring in a V-16 Longslide .45 Super is 18.5 pounds.

Hope this helps.

Back