Springfield V-16: Cleaning Suggestions??

ninenot

So my kid takes some advice and buys a V-16. Since .45Super is almost impossible to buy, we use ACP. Ran 200 rounds through, cleaned after every 50. Today we decided to sight it in, and blaggo daggo does this weapon shoot!!! Even the kid, not highly practiced, can put 3 of every 5 into the black at 50 yds.

Now the kid is smart. He takes me to the range, I sight in the weapon, he practices. Then he has to go to work, so Daddy gets to clean the weapon. He watched, halfway, once.
Book is somewhat confusing. Get it apart and back together, works fine.

THAT SPRING ARRANGEMENT IS A BEAR!! Any ideas about containing the recoil spring before you screw the guide rod back into the spring guide? Chipped the kitchen wall when the spring guide escaped.

Thanks for any help, aside from telling me to get the kid to do his OWN work...

I am not an expert,and the chances are pretty good that someone else will suggest a better method than mine. That said, this is what I do.

When I re-assemble the gun, I lay the slide in my lap. I use both hands to get the spring crammed (gently) into position. Once it is in place, I manipulate both hands so that I can pick up the slide and have it resting in the palm of one hand and have three fingers of that same hand holding the spring in flat and in the proper position to slide the other half of the guide rod through it. I use my free hand to slide the guide rod in and carefully screw it most of the way in. Then I take the frame and install it onto the slide in the upside down position, moving my fingers off of the spring as I push the frame and slide together.

It's kind of like assembling a nuclear weapon in the garage. Not too hard after you've done it once or twice, but you still have to be careful. :)

Thanks. That's about what I am doing now, and you are right. Only difference is that w/nuclear weapon assembly, you may not get a second chance. Why do you assemble nukes in your garage, by the way? Wouldn't it be better in a heated indoor workshop?

My wife has the workshop all cluttered up with illegal machinegun crap, so it's the garage or nothing. What's a guy to do?:)

Frankly, the MG's will be easier to sell. I would advise that you help her and throw away the nuke...wait!! You can be like Bill Clinton and SELL the nuke materials to, say, Red China. They also pay high prices for telemetry and guidance systems, just ask Loral, Boeing, and Motorola.

My method is to assemble the spring and rod guide together. I know that this pushes up the barrel connection. But then I push the spring and guide back out the end of the gun alittle and hold it with my last three fingers on my left hand, my first finger and thumb is holding the frame on the table. Then while holding, I slide the rest onto the frame all the while looking at the hole to see to line up the pin. Then insert pin and release rod guide. You don't have to scerw the rod guide in the whole way. Just more to give you something to hang onto. I have not tried to use a padded clamp or padded pliers yet, but am considering it.

shooter22

Good idea. I will try this tonight--if nothing else I will have a little practice time, as the gun is clean now. Yeah, the padded clamp/pliers sounds like a good idea. This weapon is so new that even running the slide over the rails is tough...

Back